[News] [SOT] Intellectual Monopoly/Lunacy Breaks Loose in the UK

UK P2P user? Hope you like US prison food

,----[ Quote ]
| The [US] PRO-IP bill, H.R.4279, significantly increases the state's power to
| detect and prosecute IP infringement, carrying with it a whole host of new
| law enforcement positions and capabilities. It establishes an IP Czar,
| someone with the job of overseeing zealous action on behalf of copyright and
| trademark owners, and includes such powers as the ability to seize equipment
| if it contains just one file thought to infringe.
|
| [...]
|
| As a UK citizen, you no longer have any effective defence against a US demand
| for deportation. Under the Extradition Act 2003 the US can apply for a UK
| citizen to be extradited without having to present any evidence to face
| charges of a crime committed in the US – for which the UK citizen need not
| have been actually present.
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10008415o-2000331777b,00.htm

More here:

A shaming victory on 42 days

http://dooooooom.blogspot.com/2008/06/shaming-victory-on-42-days.html

Police Chief Faces High Court Anti-Piracy Action

,----[ Quote ]
| UK music licensing outfit the “Performing Right Society” (PRS) - the guys
| that come asking for money when you play any music within earshot of the
| public - is rolling out the big guns ready for a High Court showdown with a
| little known group of music pirates, known in the UK as ‘the police’. Not the
| band of the same name, but that government organization people rely on for
| keeping law and order.
|
| According to a report, the police in the county of Lancashire have apparently
| committed a terrible crime and let the whole country down. Rather like the
| copyright infringing tea-rooms and their carol-singing occupants we wrote
| about last year, it appears that the police have been recklessly listening to
| music in stations all over the county - without a license. The PRS aren’t
| happy.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/police-chief-faces-high-court-anti-piracy-action-120608/

Canada also:

More Unspeakable Acts

,----[ Quote ]
| In other words, all this stuff is just a prelude to the even more Draconian,
| even less democratic ACTA which is beetling towards us. Time to start
| protesting, people....
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/06/more-unspeakable-acts.html

Recent:

Embattled ACTA Negotiations Next Week In Geneva; US Sees Signing This Year

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.ip-watch.org/weblog/index.php?p=1071