[News] Free Software the Right Route for Businesses

Open Source Development Is Smart Business

,----[ Quote ]
| I've been engaged in free software -- which later became "open source" in
| 1998 -- for almost two decades. I understand the community's skepticism when
| it comes to corporate approaches to open source. I've seen simple open source
| concepts -- such as free distribution, source code that can be modified, open
| licensing, and others -- distorted by companies looking to sell products and
| recast their image as open. To succeed and truly benefit the open source
| community, companies need to find a balance between maintaining their
| competitive advantage and working closely with customers and developers.
|
| From a corporate perspective, there are excellent reasons for adopting an
| open source strategy:
|
|     * There is an increased market demand for open source products.
|     * Development costs can be reduced by eliminating the need to reinvent
|       existing, proven code.
|     * Companies can leverage ongoing community development efforts to enhance
|       applications and better engage customers.
|     * Through an expanded user community, a company can establish broader
|       adoption of its products and reach new markets.
`----

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Open-Source-Development-Is-Smart-Business-63372.html

What's 'Disruptive' About Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| The other day, while in a phone conversation, the old canard about open
| source being a "disruptive technology" came up. It's true, but I think it's
| one of those things (like "information wants to be free") that runs the risk
| of becoming a thought-cliché. You always want to talk about what's being
| disrupted, why, and to what end. For me, what's being disrupted most is
| complacency: the mentality that no one ever got fired for buying Vendor X.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/06/whats_disruptiv.html

Recent:

Freeing up the future: Is open source best for business?

,----[ Summary ]
| We spend $1 trillion on software every year, writing off around twenty
| percent in failed applications. Not only is open source software free, but
| many are now claiming it works better too. Exec finds out more
`----

http://www.execdigital.co.uk/Freeing-up-the-future--Is-open-source-best-for-business-_6094.aspx

Business Logic vs. Free Software Idealism

,----[ Quote ]
| These days, business and free software co-exist with little friction.
|
| Although you still find some members of the free software community who
| automatically view business with suspicion, for the most part the community
| considers the multibillion dollar open source industry as a validation of its
| beliefs. Business and free software are so closely intertwined that kernel
| developers Linus Torvalds and Andrew Morton are employed by the Linux
| Foundation, a non-profit consortium of corporations. But in recent months,
| this cooperation is showing signs of becoming strained.
`----

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/opinions/6487/1/

Open-Source Software: How the Stock Market Views It

,----[ Quote ]
| Over the past decade, companies have been experimenting with a radical
| concept: openness. Instead of keeping proprietary information close to the
| vest, they make it available to anyone who wants it, usually free of charge.
|
| [...]
|
| This means companies can't rely on vague long-term assurances. For instance,
| promising to make their software an industry standard by giving it away free
| isn't enough to convince investors. Companies must also lay out a plan for
| bringing in cash in the near term. Some companies offer different licenses of
| their open-source product to different groups -- so the software is free for
| consumers, but companies must pay a fee. Other companies make money off their
| software by selling complementary goods and services, such as training
| programs.
`----

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121018847081574439.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Free and Open Source Software Guide for SMEs

,----[ Quote ]
| Two EU-funded projects in the area of Free and Open Source Software (F/OSS),
| namely OpenTTT and FLOSSMETRICS, have recently published a F/OSS guide for
| SMEs. Different types of software applications and businesses are addressed,
| making this guide useful for most SMEs that wish to simply use F/OSS or even
| build a F/OSS-based business approach.
`----

http://www.zeapartners.org/articles/guide-for-smes001

Wired Asks the Wrong Question about Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| "Where are all the open source billionaires?" Wired asks in its March issue.
| Wrong question. The right question is "Who will become billionaires because
| of open source?"
`----

http://advice.cio.com/bernard_golden/wired_asks_the_wrong_question_about_open_source

Linux Becomes a Serious Option for Business

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Linux-Becomes-a-Serious-Option-for-Business-62667.html