[News] KOffice Shaping Up Around OpenDocument Format, ISO's Reputation Sinks Further

  • Subject: [News] KOffice Shaping Up Around OpenDocument Format, ISO's Reputation Sinks Further
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 15:14:44 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
KOffice 2.0 Alpha 8

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenDocument Improvements
|
| One of the highlights of this release is the work on saving and loading Open
| Document Format documents, especially for the text shape, thanks to the
| sponsoring of Girish Ramakrishnan by the Dutch NLNet organisation. Girish has
| added scores of tests to check for ODF compliancy.
|
| It is also worthy of note that now KOffice is able to load and save images in
| text and presentation documents. Shapes can now be animated and associated
| with events such as sounds.
`----

http://dot.kde.org/1213262197/

ISO withholds final text of standard

,----[ Quote ]
| Which eventually enables other member states to file appeals against the text
| once it gets released or against other procedural irregularities. The
| standard as it stands is naked. It lacks a text. Where is it? The secret 30
| April document is a phantom. We don't know yet if ISO can provide a
| consolidated version of the BRM results. We only know that member states
| adopted the non-existing text as a standard. Now the nations that filed
| complaints will be blamed for lack of delivery.
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-66399/iso-withholds-final-text-of-standard

Recent:

KOffice 2.0 Alpha 7 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| This release is the first to see some results of the OpenDocument Format
| testsuite being imported into KOffice. The testsuite exists from a lot of
| little documents that each show one feature in ODF. Automated testing of
| without fear of breaking the already working code. This is known as
| regression testing.
|
| In this release already 23 tests are added into KOffice and the results are
| visible in much better loading of text documents in KWord. KWord is also one
| of the target applications for 2.0, and NLNet has sponsored a developer
| working on that application.
`----

http://dot.kde.org/1210273570/

NLnet Gives KOffice a New Logo and Sponsors ODF development

,----[ Quote ]
| The Dutch NLnet foundation aims to financially support organisations and
| people that contribute to an open information society. Some time ago they
| decided to help KOffice in two exciting ways: to sponsor the design of a new
| logo for KOffice, with matching logo designs for all KOffice applications,
| and to sponsor Girish Ramakrishnan to improve the ODF support in KWord 2.0.
| The KOffice team is deeply grateful to NLnet for this support!
`----

http://dot.kde.org/1208521131/

BE, NL: governments will not use ISO OOXML

,----[ Quote ]
| Asked to comment on last week's ISO approval for OOXML, Fedict's chief IT
| architect, Peter Strickx, said: "There will have to be multiple
| implementations, in order for us not to become dependent on a single vendor.
| It will also have to be compatible with open standards that we already use,
| in this case Open Document Format ODF."
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7562

DE: German Foreign Ministry will not use ISO OOXML

,----[ Quote ]
| In the weeks prior to the second round of votes last September,
| irregularities were reported in the standard committees in many participating
| countries. These claims  continued until after the final discussion, in
| February and March this year.
|
| The European Commission has started an investigation into the allegations.
| The Commission sent a letter to all EU national standards committees in
| Europe, requesting information about the process. Sources at the Commission
| declined to comment, as the investigation is on-going and no official
| position has yet been adopted.
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7561

Just a coincidence?

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Davide Dozza, Chairman of Associazione PLIO: "The numbers are
| exactly the same. If it's just a coincidence, it's a very strange one.
| Downloads of the Italian version of OpenOffice.org were 800.000 in 2006 and
| 1.800.000 in 2007: the difference is exactly in the million of Italians
| that - according to Microsoft - have downloaded the trial version of Office
| 2007. We think that these users have decided to switch to OpenOffice.org as
| soon as they have realized that the effort to get used to the new ribbon
| interface is higher than the effort to migrate to the open source suite. In
| 2007, the majority of information requests has been about the compatibility
| with Windows Vista, and the trend stays unchanged in 2008".
`----

http://ooomarketing.blogspot.com/2008/01/just-coincidence.html

German penal institutions looking into OpenOffice.org

,----[ Quote ]
| It looks like that OpenOffice.org is also being used in areas where many of
| us don't expect it, or wouldn't research for. I have reports that some German
| penal institutions are looking into OpenOffice.org for their daily office
| work.
`----

http://ooomarketing.blogspot.com/2008/02/german-penal-institutions-looking-into.html

[German] Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/102218

French police deal blow to Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| The French paramilitary police force said Wednesday it is ditching Microsoft
| for the free Linux operating system, becoming one of the biggest
| administrations in the world to make the break.
`----

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5iU4Lq7tOR_WVOJLZ3IeRaIH03x6w

German county adopts OpenOffice.org

,----[ Quote ]