[News] [Rival] MSFT Suffers After "Vista Fiasco"

Microsoft: What Cost the Vista Fiasco?

,----[ Quote ]
| The new survey, conducted primarily in the U.S. in conjunction with Ziff
| Davis Media and Peerstone Research, also shows Vista's requirement of running
| on PCs crammed with lots of memory and powerful processors to be a deterrent.
| Companies expect to install Vista on only about 10% of the PCs they already
| own, compared with estimates last year that they'd be able to do so on 27% of
| their machines.
|
| "It seems like the IT community has turned tepid to negative" on Vista, says
| Di Bona in an interview. "There aren't any features in there they find
| compelling—even ones that haven't had bad PR." For example, companies said in
| the survey that they were indifferent to Vista's Windows Presentation
| Foundation technology for building visually compelling programs, according to
| Di Bona.
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jun2008/tc20080610_435192.htm?chan=technology_technology+index+page_top+stories
http://tinyurl.com/5eou56

The stock recently hit its 52-week low.

Recent:

'Vista Capable' plaintiffs oppose Microsoft appeal

,----[ Quote ]
| For anyone just tuning in, the lawsuit alleges that Microsoft's "Windows
| Vista Capable" logo misled consumers because it was used in cases where the
| underlying hardware wasn't enough to run the operating system's signature
| features. Microsoft disputes that assertion, saying that it considers the
| lower-end Windows Vista Home Basic a bona fide edition of the operating
| system, even without the advanced features.
`----

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/134563.asp?source=rss

E-mail: Microsoft 'botched' dealings with Intel, HP

,----[ Quote ]
| Internal Microsoft e-mails revealed through a federal class-action lawsuit
| arising from the troubled launch last year of the Windows Vista operating
| system have provided a provocative inside look at the software giant's
| machinations with Intel, HP and Dell.
|
| The e-mails include an exchange in which one senior Microsoft executive
| described dealings with computer makers as "really botched." Another manager
| complained Microsoft was "caving to Intel" and "really burning HP."
|
| The e-mails are included in 145 pages of documents unsealed by U.S. District
| Judge Marsha Pechman in Seattle late Wednesday. They include internal
| reports and some handwritten notes that offer a rare look inside at the
| famed "Wintel" partnership, and touch upon the alliance's dealings with
| Hewlett-Packard, Dell and other computer makers.
`----

http://origin.mercurynews.com/businessheadlines/ci_8417811?nclick_check=1

Microsoft knew of Vista shortcoming prior to release

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/microsoft-knew-vista-shortcoming-prior/story.aspx?guid=%7B75BE59C7%2DEFA1%2D48B5%2DB4A4%2D90F5E01A52A0%7D&siteid=yhoof

Microsoft dropped Vista hardware spec to raise Intel profits

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/03/01/microsoft_intel_vista_capable_emails/

Microsoft 'Caves' To Intel

http://www.forbes.com/2008/02/28/microsoft-vista-intel-tech-ebiz-cx_wt_0228vista.html?partner=yahootix

Has Vista lost all credibility?

http://apcmag.com/8344/has_vista_lost_all_credibility

Intel overwhelmed by EU complaints

,----[ Quote ]
| So many charges, so little time.
|
| Intel Chairman Craig Barrett appears overwhelmed by a European Union
| investigation into the company's actions. Earlier this month, European
| Competition Commission officials busted open Intel offices in Munich, hunting
| for documents related to alleged price fixing with retailers. That raid added
| to an existing EC investigation into Intel's business practices.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/02/22/intel_barrett_eu_gripe/

Microsoft, Intel and Dell: The Tech Love Triangle

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://blog.raisingwaves.com/index.php?entry=entry071120-003039