[News] [SOT] Open Government is Open Like an Open Sore

Still not getting it

,----[ Quote ]
| MPs are still not getting it. Instead of embracing the principal of open
| government and beginning the slow process of re-building their reputation
| with the public, they want to give themselves more money by stealth.
|
| [...]
|
| However, I should tell those who press and press such issues that, sooner or
| later, the allowances will be rolled into our salary, handed out without any
| claim mechanism or dealt with under some other device, because it is
| intolerable that this intrusion into Members’ private lives should have to be
| endured or should be permitted, and something will happen to prevent it from
| going too far. We can see what will happen: local news reporters and local
| political opponents will start trying to air these issues in public, which
| will be demeaning, as well as reducing the stature of Parliament and damaging
| our democracy. It cannot be right that things should reach such lengths.”
`----

http://www.yrtk.org/2008/still-not-getting-it/

U.S. and Europe Near Agreement on Private Data

,----[ Quote ]
| But the two sides are still at odds on several other matters, including
| whether European citizens should be able to sue the United States government
| over its handling of their personal data, the report said.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/28/washington/28privacy.html?_r=1&hp=&adxnnl=1&oref=slogin&adxnnlx=1214675605-CxtMS9Qaqs7+WCgMPmUToQ

Will the EU Ever Stand up for Its Citizens?

,----[ Quote ]
| Laws which are apparently being chucked away purely because America wants to
| disregard them. This is what happens when European government mouth fatuities
| about the so-called "war on terror": they then get hoist by their own
| rhetorical petard.
|
| What's amazing is that probably 90% of Europeans would be against giving this
| kind of data to the US if they were ever given any way to choose. Which they
| won't be, of course: that's democracy?
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/06/will-eu-ever-stand-up-for-its-citizens.html

Politicians are probably as corrupt as Microsoft executives, but that's another
story. That's probably why Microsoft gets along with some corrupted
politicians and other figures of authority.

Last week:

What do Free and Open Source Software Leaders Think of Microsoft?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/12068_3753076_3