Re: [News] Ethiopia Gets OLPCs, RMS Explains Microsoft Corruption

> One laptop per child and open source
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| For once Microsoft is getting the reverse Linux laptop experience:
>| little support and little documentation for the hardware. The result
>| will be a platform that doesn?t include any of the really novel
>| features that we're building in, bad power management, no systems
>| management via the firmware and apps that will randomly crash because
>| they can't fix the virtual memory problem in the same way we're
>| approaching it. A second class citizen, to be sure.
> `----
>
> http://www.0xdeadbeef.com/weblog/?p=285

Ah, a nice bit of computer trivia in that URL!

Anyway:

   The relationship can be explained thusly: Microsoft has some XO
   machines. They are trying to get Windows working on it. Sometimes
   they show up and ask random hardware questions. The OLPC guys say
   "look at the code." They go away again. Sometimes they
   brick machines (because they have to replace the awesome firmware we
   have with a poopy PC BIOS) and send them back to the office to
   get them unbricked. Sometimes they complain that the machine has
   hardware problems and we reply that it works fine here.

Funny as hell!

--
Your own mileage may vary.