[News] Ethiopia Gets OLPCs, RMS Explains Microsoft Corruption

Ethiopia: OLPC donates 5,000 laptops worth 940,000 USD

,----[ Quote ]
| One laptop per child(OLPC)project and the city of Florence, Italy donate
| 5,000 personal computers to Ethiopian schools as part of the one laptop per
| child project launched by UN to help world poorest children’s’ knowledge
| through modern technology. Ministry of Capacity Building said.
`----

http://www.sudantribune.com/spip.php?article27679

Let's hope they make the right choice and don't just get these children
addicted to (and controlled) by foreign monopolies.

What do Free and Open Source Software Leaders Think of Microsoft?

,----[ Quote ]
| "Microsoft suborned the One Laptop Per Child project, converting it into a
| massive Windows training campaign. The project says it is giving the
| purchasing governments 'more choice' by supporting Windows as well as
| GNU/Linux, but those governments will tend to choose Windows by default. In
| some countries, people will campaign to prevent that. If these campaigns
| succeed, the OLPC project may yet make a positive contribution to the world.
| Otherwise, it will do overall harm."
|
| Second, talking about the standards fight in which Microsoft succeeded in
| having its OOXML format accepted as an open standard in rivalry to the ODF
| format favored by OpenOffice.org and other free office applications, Stallman
| notes that "Microsoft corrupted many members of ISO in order to win approval
| for its phony 'open' document format, OOXML. This was so governments that
| keep their documents in a Microsoft-only format can pretend that they are
| using 'open standards.' The government of South Africa has filed an appeal
| against the decision, citing the irregularities in the process."
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/12068_3753076_3

Related:

One laptop per child and open source