[News] Pardus 2008 Impresses Yet Another Reviewer

Pardus 2008 : A testdrive

,----[ Quote ]
| Pardus surprised me. Today it is listed as nr 49 on Distrowatch, but it
| deserves a place near or in the top-ten. It is a distro that has everything
| to become a major newcomer-friendly distro.
| It is a distro that I will use/propose (along with PCLinuxOS :-) ) when
| converting Windows Users to Linux, and the Dutch version is also very good
| (kudos to the Dutch translation team).
`----

http://wamukota.blogspot.com/2008/06/pardus-2008-testdrive.html

Recent:

Pardus 2008 RC2

,----[ Quote ]
| I love finding fault when reviewing products, services and software, so
| consider this my standing ovation to Pardus for being nigh on faultless.
| They've got a top notch operating system on their hands and I'm willing to
| say this might be one of the best releases of 2008.
`----

http://www.distro-review.com/review-pardus-2008-rc2

Open source tour of Europe: Turkey

,----[ Quote ]
| There are sporadic examples of Turkish open source projects. In August 2007
| Turkey’s Military Recruitment Division, which is part of the Ministry of
| Defense, announced that it was switching to Pardus Linux on all of its 4,500
| desktops and more than five hundred servers.
|
| Pardus is also being used by Turkish Radio and Television Supreme Council as
| part of its digital television archive and analysis project.
|
| Meanwhile CentOS is used along with Apache and MySQL to power Yerelnet, a web
| site designed to encourage collaboration between local governments. Other
| early adepter success stories include Manisa Health Directorate, Petrol-Is,
| and Neziroglu Motors, all of which are using Pardus Linux.
|
| While there are few examples of Turkish open source deployments to date there
| is reason to believe that may will be more in the future thanks to the fact
| that the Ministry of Education is teaching students to use and understand
| open source software as well as Windows as part of the IT curriculum.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2008/06/12/open-source-tour-of-europe-turkey/
http://tinyurl.com/5zyfqj

Pardus 2008 RC1 - Great Distro Ahead

,----[ Quote ]
| Pardus is an independently developed system with notable visions/history. The
| first version was released during the end of 2006. The initial version had
| many promising features like a new package management system, control center,
| installer and init system. Pardus 2007 also had one of the best looking KDE
| customizations. The lack of some important packages (like fglrx), longer
| installation time and some hardware issues made me to switch to other
| distributions.
|
| Pardus team has released RC version of their latest offering, Pardus 2008.
| This release has some noticeable features which made me to go back to Pardus.
`----

http://planetoss.com/detail.php?id=14

Related:

Real answers to the question “Can you run your business on Linux and open
source?”

,----[ Quote ]
| The first response was again very positive. “I have [a] connection with a
| number who do this and all reckon they have saved lots of money” he said.
|
| [...]
|
| He continued, “For the client OS migration, we are experiencing a large scale
| project for the Turkish Military now. 5.500 clients will migrate to Pardus (a
|                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| Turkish government-backed Linux distribution.)”
| He concluded with some words of advice to make a desktop Linux deployment be
| successful: “For the client, you need a usable distribution (Pardus, Kubuntu,
| Suse, etc) with support for Flash, Java, PDF files, and every imaginable
| multimedia format right out of the box. That is, if you install Linux with
| just clicking on next and these come. Then almost 99% of ordinary desktop
| users will be satisfied.”
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15508/1141/1/2/

Battle of the Beasts: Wolvix vs. Pardus

,----[ Quote ]
| Final Score:
| Pardus = 7
| Wolvix = 3
| *Winner, Pardus!
|
| Conclusion:
| Pardus won by quite a large margin mainly because in my own opinion it is
| more polished and complete than Wolvix. However, I can’t fully assume that
| Wolvix is the ultimately loser in this battle since my judgment was solely
| based on the results of my tests and on my hardware alone. To be really fair,
| I need other people’s opinion. So, to those who have also tried these two
| distros, feel free to give us your thoughts.
`----

http://www.junauza.com/2008/03/battle-of-beasts-wolvix-vs-pardus.html

There’s Something About Pardus

,----[ Quote ]
| I've tried so many distros already and only few have left a lasting
| impression on me. Pardus Linux is now one of the very few. I just love almost
| every vital part of it. The system installer, the package manager, and the
| control center among others are all wonderfully crafted. I can tell that the
| developers took their time to really buff up this distro. I’m sorry to say
| though that Pardus is still pretty much underrated, because many distros are
| far more popular but are not as good as Pardus. Anyway, I’m so glad that I’ve
| tried Pardus, and I would highly recommend it to just about anyone who is
| still searching for a fully featured, easy-to-use, and quality Linux distro.
`----

http://www.junauza.com/2008/03/theres-something-about-pardus.html

Kurdish operating system under investigation by Turkish attorney general

,----[ Quote ]
| Previously, we reported that Kurdish Linux was launched in Turkey:
| Kurdish Ubuntu, a Linux distribution, was launched this week with a
| reception in Diyarbakir. Ubuntu was the first Linux distribution to
| implement Kurdish localization[1]. Kurdish localization in Linux was
| an important milestone for Turkey due to ethnic conflicts
|
| [...]
|
| Sources:
|
| "Kürtçe Linux haz?r - Kurdish Linux Ready". NTVMSNBC, November
| 23, 2006
|
| "Kürtçe yaz?l?ma soru?turma - Kurdish software under
| investigation". Milliyet, November 28, 2006

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Kurdish_operating_system_under_investigation_by_Turkish_attorney_general

Kurdish Linux launched in Turkey

,----[ Quote ]
| November 24, 2006
|
| Kurdish Ubuntu, a Linux distribution, was launched this week with a
| reception in Diyarbakir. Ubuntu was the first Linux distribution to
| implement Kurdish localization
`----

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Kurdish_Linux_launched_in_Turkey

Free Software Period To Begin In Public Organizations

,----[ Quote ]
| A new and free software period, which brings the
| utilization of Linux-based operating systems with open
| source codes instead of Microsoft's operating systems
| in computers, will begin in Turkish public
| organizations.
|
| The first application will be performed in the Draft
| Department of the Ministry of National Defence where
| Turkey's national software 'Pardus', developed by
| Scientific and Technological Research Council of
| Turkey (TUBITAK), will be used as the basic
| operating system.
`----

http://www.turkishpress.com/news.asp?id=147873

Pardus 2007.1 -- Almost Perfect