[News] KWord Gets ODF Support, Abiword Eases Migration to GNU/Linux

Getting started with KWord Development

,----[ Quote ]
| About 2 months ago, I started working on KWord ODF support. Getting
| productive working on KWord is no mean task - apart from the mandatory C++/Qt
| knowledge, one need to know Scribe, KDE, KOffice libs and KWord. I knew only
| C++/Qt and basic Scribe.
`----

http://blog.forwardbias.in/2008/06/getting-start-with-kword.html

Abiword: One Lean, Mean, Word Processing Machine

,----[ Quote ]
| Abiword fills that void for Windows users, and it does so amazingly well.
| That makes it ideal not as a replacement word processing program, but rather
| as a useful -- and eventually, indispensable -- addition to any
| small-business software library.
`----

http://www.bmighty.com/blog/main/archives/2008/06/abiword_one_lea.html

Recent:

NLnet Gives KOffice a New Logo and Sponsors ODF development

,----[ Quote ]
| The Dutch NLnet foundation aims to financially support organisations and
| people that contribute to an open information society. Some time ago they
| decided to help KOffice in two exciting ways: to sponsor the design of a new
| logo for KOffice, with matching logo designs for all KOffice applications,
| and to sponsor Girish Ramakrishnan to improve the ODF support in KWord 2.0.
| The KOffice team is deeply grateful to NLnet for this support!
`----

http://dot.kde.org/1208521131/

KOffice 2.0 Alpha 7 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| This release is the first to see some results of the OpenDocument Format
| testsuite being imported into KOffice. The testsuite exists from a lot of
| little documents that each show one feature in ODF. Automated testing of
| without fear of breaking the already working code. This is known as
| regression testing.
|
| In this release already 23 tests are added into KOffice and the results are
| visible in much better loading of text documents in KWord. KWord is also one
| of the target applications for 2.0, and NLNet has sponsored a developer
| working on that application.
`----

http://dot.kde.org/1210273570/

Related:

Closing Day at the Release Event

,----[ Quote ]
| Alexander from OpenOffice talked about some of the possibilities of
| OpenDocument including dedicated C libraries to process the format which
| could be shared between apps. KOffice developers discussed plans for an
| OpenDocument API in kdelibs to make use of the format available throughout
| KDE.
`----

http://dot.kde.org/1200936055/

Key KOffice Developers Talk About KOffice 2 and Open Standards

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://dot.kde.org/1194021253/