[News] Linux Phones Consortium Welcomes Symbian's Move

LiMo Foundation Says It Welcomes the Symbian Foundation

,----[ Quote ]
| This last point is important. While the LiMo Foundation's position on the
| Symbian news is high-minded, I still see it as essential for the LiMo
| Foundation and Android to have solid amounts of money going to application
| developers. Apple has a $100 million fund for that purpose, and RIM has a
| $150 million fund.
|
| Absent best-of-breed applications, the LiMo Foundation and Android will have
| a tough time against the competition. One possible wrinkle here, though, is
| China. China represents a potentially huge market for handsets based on open
| source mobile platforms, at low price points. If China adopts LiMo- and
| Android-based handsets in a big way, growth in the market itself could help
| pave the way for success for these Linux-based platforms.
`----

http://ostatic.com/166156-blog/limo-foundation-says-it-welcomes-the-symbian-foundation

They forget to mention that LiMo's leader actually defected away from Symbian
(to Linux).

See the link below about Symbian predicting the death of the 'desktop'.

Related:

Symbian senior VP defects to mobile Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The LiMo (Linux Mobile) Foundation, an industry group building a common
| software stack for Linux-based mobile phones, today announced a dozen new
| members. The organization also disclosed that rival Symbian's longtime Senior
| VP of Sales and Professional Services, Morgan Gillis, will soon become its
| Executive Director.

LiMo chief talks rivals, Nokia and mobile Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Do you think the Trolltech acquisition would lessen Nokia's reliance on
| Symbian?
|
| I would tend to look at it with a slightly broader, more strategic view. We
| can all see that Nokia has, for the past two to three years, been
| concentrating its focus and investments and acquisitions on the
| user-experience layer — both the user interface and, through [Nokia's
| internet services platform] Ovi, the content as well.
`----

http://resources.zdnet.co.uk/articles/features/0,1000002000,39292607,00.htm

Symbian forecasts the death of the PC

,----[ Quote ]