Re: "things go better with Windows on the EeePC"

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 12:37:45 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 14:51:50 +0200, Hadron wrote:
>
>> Asus stab OSS and Linux in the back.
>>

>> Pretty much "Thanks for the free code to get our HW out of the door,
>> now you're dumped and I'm going out with a more attractive version"
>>
>> http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/asus_backsliding_linux
>>
>> And I quote:
>>
>> ,----
>>| This raises a rather cynical question. Was Asus simply using GNU/Linux
>>| as a lure to get a cheap foothold in the micro market and tempt |
>>Microsoft by the stunning sales figures?
>> `----
>>
>> Roy, time to boycott Asus .....
>
> What I find odd is that Asus which was traditionally a very anti-Linux
> company has now *embraced Linux* .
>
> The Linux loons still don't get *it* and what *it* is. Money.
> It's all about money.

For a lot of people, it may be. For a for-profit corporation, it had
better be.

> It's already been proven that preloading Linux on systems results in a
> miniscule savings and in fact many of these preloaded systems end up
> costing more than the equivilant Windows machines.

Which, of course, is why Asus, and now its competitors, chose Linus to
pre-install on their machines....

Could Asus have just been baiting Microsoft? Could Asus have been telling
Microsoft that they had better come off their monopoly pricing? And did
Microsoft?

> See Emperor Linux Laptops for example. Unless something has recently
> changed, this has been discussed in COLA in the past.
>
> Get ready for the Schestowitz Boycott machine to gear up.

Why not... your stalking just showed up.

--
Rick