Re: [News] GNU/Linux Has Spread Everywhere, But Very Quietly

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 23:01:13 +0000, Rick wrote:

> On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 22:31:37 +0000, 7 wrote:

>>> I saw a pretty good sign the other day. I'm debating whether to get an
>>> Eee, so I looked in on the user reviews on Amazon to see what real
>>> users are saying. Naturally there were some who couldn't wait to get
>>> Windows working on their new toy, but there were also a few who said
>>> they bought their Eee *intending* to install Windows first thing, and
>>> then found that the "default OS" (Linux) was so nice that they decided
>>> to just keep using it.
>>>
>>> There was also a Linux user who had intended to install his own
>>> favorite distro, but decided that the one that was on there was better
>>> tailored to the machine. So, it sounds like manufacturers are finally
>>> getting a grip on how to really *use* and *customize* Linux, as
>>> opposed to just throwing some random (and usually inappropriate)
>>> distro on there and calling it done.
>>>
>>> From some history I know and some rumors I hear on the blogs, it seems
>>> pretty certain that Microsoft is going to cut some special deal with
>>> Asus to push Linux off the Eee's.
>>
>> That would be suicidal - EEEs are expected to sell 5 million units.
>> Thats some quarter to half a billion dollars in profit to Ausus. Next
>> year it could be double that, and double again the following. So Ausus
>> would be on a suicidal losing streak if they shook hands with the
>> devil.
>
> It is amazing how many corporations have made deals with the devil over
> the years.
> (snip)

Some of 'em didn't have much choice, but that was then. With the EU
Commission on the job now, Asus has a choice. If they stand up for
themselves I'll probably give the next Eee a try (rumors are that it'll
have a 10.4" screen!). If they sell out and want me to pay a "Microsoft
Tax", then I'll just wait for someone else to get it right.