Re: [News] GNU/Linux Has Spread Everywhere, But Very Quietly

____/ El Tux on Sunday 09 March 2008 20:59 : \____

> On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 15:04:25 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Linux is truly everywhere
>
> I saw a pretty good sign the other day. I'm debating whether to get an
> Eee, so I looked in on the user reviews on Amazon to see what real users
> are saying. Naturally there were some who couldn't wait to get Windows
> working on their new toy, but there were also a few who said they
> bought their Eee *intending* to install Windows first thing, and then
> found that the "default OS" (Linux) was so nice that they decided to
> just keep using it.
>
> There was also a Linux user who had intended to install his own favorite
> distro, but decided that the one that was on there was better tailored
> to the machine. So, it sounds like manufacturers are finally getting a
> grip on how to really *use* and *customize* Linux, as opposed to just
> throwing some random (and usually inappropriate) distro on there and
> calling it done.
>
> From some history I know and some rumors I hear on the blogs, it seems
> pretty certain that Microsoft is going to cut some special deal with
> Asus to push Linux off the Eee's. I almost hope they do because Linux
> excels at portability to machines large and small, whereas MS is having
> to kludge Windows to make it fit on such limited hardware. Then there's
> still the matter of stripping down all those big bloated *closed-source*
> Windows applications so Windows and a useable number of apps fit on a 2G
> flash drive. However, the hardware will be linux-compatible, and
> distro's that are more appropriate to the machine are free, so this
> could actually just end up making MS look bad.

It is true (I know this from someone) that Microsoft offered significant
discounts to ASUS, but that's the type of thing that makes Linux Microsoft's
#1 threat. Sooner or later, Microsoft may have to just give away Windows for
free. The operating platform has become a commodity... or is soon getting
there.

Fetch SPAM quicker than you can type 'crond start'
 03:00:01 up 45 days, 12:54,  4 users,  load average: 0.98, 0.90, 1.24