[News] Gnash Reaches Beta, Can Play MSBBC's Broken Media

  • Subject: [News] Gnash Reaches Beta, Can Play MSBBC's Broken Media
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2008 15:11:25 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
The first Gnash beta is out

,----[ Quote ]
| The first beta release of Gnash has just been made at version
| 0.8.2. Gnash is a GPL'd SWF movie player and browser plugin for
| Firefox, Mozilla, and Konqueror. Gnash supports many SWF v7
| features and ActionScript 2 classes. with growing support for SWF v8
| and v9.
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/272206/

BBC iPlayer on GNU/Linux without Flash using only free software

,----[ Quote ]
| A bit of background to this. The BBC is funded by every single household with
| a TV in the UK (except old people). iPlayer is a platform for watching BBC
| shows you've missed. Initially iPlayer was Windows XP only, and we had a
| protest about it in London and in Manchester. Then, they released a Flash
| version, but as Flash isn't free software, users of free software operating
| systems were still left in the cold. Ashley Highfield estimated there were
| 400 GNU/Linux users in the UK, and was proven badly wrong.
|
| A few days ago, they launched an iPhone version, even though they've still
| not released a GNU/Linux version.
|
| You'll need:
|
|     * Iceweasel, GNUzilla or Mozilla Firefox
|     * User Agent Switcher
|     * Firebug
|
| [...]
|
| You'll get an MP4 file which you can play in VLC, Totem, etc. No DRM. You
| might want to rename it to something sensible.
|
| Gnash is a free software plugin for Flash. If you're not already using it,
| please take this time to download and use it instead of Flash.
`----

http://exploringfreedom.org/2008/03/08/bbc-iplayer-on-gnu-linux-without-flash-using-only-free-software/

The MSBBC continues not to support its #1 threat, according the the CEO (proof
below). How come? Who is pulling whose strings? Where is the corruption coming
from?

Last week:

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

`----