Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista Makes Low-cost Laptops Impractical (Linux Wins)

____/ Charlie Wilkes on Saturday 08 March 2008 14:05 : \____

> On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 07:19:50 -0600, chrisv wrote:
>
>> Charlie Wilkes wrote:
>>
>>> Microsoft's business model assumes a world where everyone upgrades
>>> every 3 years to a new computer running a new version of Windows that's
>>> even bigger and more complicated than what it replaces.  But that world
>>> is fading away.
>>
>> Right.  Vista is the wrong product at the wrong time.  Just when the
>> computing world is really going mobile, M$ comes-out with an OS that
>> requires 4X the hardware to run adequately.  They have really got to go
>> back to the drawing board, akin to what Intel did when they dumped their
>> "Netburst" (Pentium 4) architecture to design the far more efficient
>> "Core".
>
> I suspect lots of people within Microsoft have known all along that Vista
> is too clunky and basically out of sync with what is happening in the
> world.  But I also suspect that, at a certain level within the
> organization, anyone who delivers that message risks being clobbered by a
> flying chair.  Hence the marching orders are to keep on keepin' on,
> bigger is better, Microsoft will bend the market to its indomitable will.

I can probably find the reference if I try hard enough, but even Gates admitted
this. He acknowledged that Vista was a pig (Allchin said this explicitly
before they both resigned) and it had him worried about the future. He's a fan
of mobile devices, tablets in particular.

Roy S. Schestowitz     \ Switch to GNU/Linux. Visit http://www.getgnulinux.org/