Re: [News] Here Comes the OOXML 'Patent Tax' (Already!), OpenOffice.org Shielded

____/ Linonut on Saturday 08 March 2008 15:46 : \____

> * [H]omer peremptorily fired off this memo:

>> Wait... I'm confused. Are they saying we need to /pay/ to use their
>> "open" standard?
>
> That's Microsoft's plan.  Slow down open source in the commercial sector
> by making it cost more.
>
> Actually, it is reasonable, from a business point of view.  The trouble
> for Microsoft is two-fold:
>
>    1. Patents are murky until clarified in court.
>    2. Other big entities have similar patents.

It will lead Microsoft to more fines (wrath of the EU). I notice that a
Microsoft partner joined this thread to defend Microsoft, so we must be on the
right topic.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Vista: as the reputation of "Longhorn" was mucked
Cpu(s): 25.9%us,  4.0%sy,  1.0%ni, 64.6%id,  4.2%wa,  0.3%hi,  0.1%si,  0.0%st