Re: [News] IEEE Spectrum Tries to Explain Software Patents, Akamai Abuses

____/ Mark Kent on Friday 07 March 2008 22:17 : \____

>> Software Patents 101
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| The four pillars of ­intellectual ­property?patents, copyright, trademarks,
>>| and trade secrets?all play roles in ­protecting software. No ­wonder this
>>| is one of the most slippery subjects for an engineer?s lawyer.
>> `----
>>
>> http://spectrum.ieee.org/mar08/6005
>>
>> Fluff.
>>

> Worse than that, it's wrong.  Software should not be patentable in the
> US, and it certainly isn't anywhere outside Nafta and Australia.
>
> The current system virtually has engineers tugging their forelocks,
> begging the lawyers for permission to do their jobs.  It's insane and
> absurd, a wonderful legacy from the USPTO.
>
> The chinese and indians must be chuckling all the way to the bank...

They already do.

Wall Street hit by surprise decline in jobs

,----[ Quote ]
| US equities fell for a second consecutive week, bruised by weak economic
| data, the falling dollar, soaring commodity prices and renewed concerns about
| the health of global credit markets.
`----

http://us.ft.com/ftgateway/superpage.ft?news_id=fto030720081316052581&referrer_id=yahoofinance

When the recession/deflation (and finally depression) comes, the Americans can
only say: "we did this to ourselves". Greed.

http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/newsanalysis/investing/10406000.html?cm_ven=YAHOO&amp;cm_cat=FREE&amp;cm_ite=NA

http://seekingalpha.com/article/67097-microsoft-should-be-clear-of-infringing-akamai-s-703-patent?source=yahoo

>> Related:
>>
>> Trend Micro patent claim provokes FOSS community, leads to boycott
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Eben Moglen of the Software Freedom Law Center is aware of the case, and is
>>| considering a patent re-examination request or another intervention in the
>>| case.
>>|
>>| Contacted by Linux.com, Barracuda's Drako acknowledged the array of
>>| reactions by saying, "We at Barracuda want to extend our thanks to the
>>| tremendous number of individuals who expressed support for our defending
>>| the use of ClamAV free and open source software, as well as to the
>>| community members that have submitted prior art."
>>|
>>| If Trend Micro hasn't already, it is about to find out that the case is
>>| about free software after all.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.linux.com/feature/126851
>>

>> Call for action: Boycott Trend Micro
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Anti virus developer Trend Micro accused Barracuda Networks of patent
>>| infringement but what they really did was attacking the users of ClamAV
>>| free anti virus software with a bogus patent.
>> `----
>>
>> http://wiki.vrijschrift.org/Call_for_action%3A_Boycott_Trend_Micro
>>

>> When Patents Threaten Science
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Patents should not be used to protect laws of nature, products of
>>| nature, or mathematical formulas.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/summary/314/5804/1395

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    It is no longer uncommon to be uncommon