[News] IEEE Spectrum Tries to Explain Software Patents, Akamai Abuses

  • Subject: [News] IEEE Spectrum Tries to Explain Software Patents, Akamai Abuses
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 12:25:29 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Software Patents 101

,----[ Quote ]
| The four pillars of ­intellectual ­property—patents, copyright, trademarks,
| and trade secrets—all play roles in ­protecting software. No ­wonder this is
| one of the most slippery subjects for an engineer’s lawyer.
`----

http://spectrum.ieee.org/mar08/6005

Fluff.

Akamai Set for A Breakout

,----[ Quote ]
| To recap, on Friday afternoon a jury in the U.S. District Court of
| Massachusetts ruled that Limelight infringed on an Akamai patent that covers
| certain technologies related to content delivery via the Internet. The jury
| awarded Akamai $45.5 million in damages, and we fully expect Limelight to
| appeal the verdict as it believes it did not infringe on Akamai's patent.
`----

http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/newsanalysis/investing/10406000.html?cm_ven=YAHOO&amp;cm_cat=FREE&amp;cm_ite=NA

Microsoft Should Be Clear of Infringing Akamai's 703 Patent

,----[ Quote ]
| Live streaming, software downloads, application acceleration, delivery to a
| device etc... are not infringing as they are either not cached or not
| delivered to a browser. So not everything on Limelight's network is in
| violation of the 703 patent. I don't know what percentage of Limelight's
| traffic or revenue is outside of the 703 patent but that would be interesting
| to know.
`----

http://seekingalpha.com/article/67097-microsoft-should-be-clear-of-infringing-akamai-s-703-patent?source=yahoo

Related:

Trend Micro patent claim provokes FOSS community, leads to boycott

,----[ Quote ]
| Eben Moglen of the Software Freedom Law Center is aware of the case, and is
| considering a patent re-examination request or another intervention in the
| case.
|
| Contacted by Linux.com, Barracuda's Drako acknowledged the array of reactions
| by saying, "We at Barracuda want to extend our thanks to the tremendous
| number of individuals who expressed support for our defending the use of
| ClamAV free and open source software, as well as to the community members
| that have submitted prior art."
|
| If Trend Micro hasn't already, it is about to find out that the case is about
| free software after all.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/126851

Call for action: Boycott Trend Micro

,----[ Quote ]
| Anti virus developer Trend Micro accused Barracuda Networks of patent
| infringement but what they really did was attacking the users of ClamAV free
| anti virus software with a bogus patent.
`----

http://wiki.vrijschrift.org/Call_for_action%3A_Boycott_Trend_Micro

When Patents Threaten Science

,----[ Quote ]