Re: [Roy Schestowitz has another slow news day] Another Review of FreeBSD 7 and Another Possible GPL Violator (Cittio)

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Wed, 05 Mar 2008 18:06:23 +0000
<5481648.DByOys2Cf2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> ____/ Linonut on Wednesday 05 March 2008 17:46 : \____
>
>> * Erik Funkenbusch peremptorily fired off this memo:
>>
>>> On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 16:40:28 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>>
>>> Yet another slow news day, Roy is reduced to commenting about non-linux
>>> operating systems.  Not that FreeBSD is bad (in fact, i just started using
>>> it for a new firewall, I like it a lot) but this is a Linux newsgroup.
>>> Guess it goes with his Microsoft envy.
>>
>> Nah, FreeBSD is on topic, mostly.
>>
>> I should try it again.  I've got an old, old laptop loaded down with
>> Ubuntu.
>
> It's a kernel, just like Linux.

Debatable.  Last I looked FreeBSD had a large number of
software components, similar to Linux distros.  Of course
the kernel is also named FreeBSD, and it's a rugged little
kernel.  In a sense, FreeBSD has the same problem as Linux,
the kernel, and Ubuntu, the distro, with the additional
complication that the two are named the same (I've never
heard of a "Linux distro" apart from the notion of a
"generic Linux distro", though Damn Small Linux comes
somewhat close).

FreeBSD the distro is a nice system for servers, though
I've not worked out how to do nVidia GL on it yet.  For its
part Linux does have the ability to read FreeBSD's file
type; I believe FreeBSD can read Linux's ext2 format
as well.

> They share the same components on top (whatever
> makes a GNU/Linux distribution).

Which makes life interesting from an assembly standpoint;
chicken gumbo, chicken noodle, and chicken cacciatori
all contain chicken, but are three distinct dishes.
Conversely, HURD, Linux, and FreeBSD are three distinct
kernels, but can be combined with X, Gnome, and GNU
utilities to make three systems that look very similar.

(In fact, Gentoo and HURD is a work in progress; I don't
know what, if anything, Gentoo and FreeBSD are doing
together.  Debian was working with HURD as well.)

> BSD even uses and relies
> on Linux software (through compatibility layers). I use a
> lot of BSD software.
>
> Why need I even defend myself in the face of a troll? *sigh*

Because if you don't, lurkers might get the wrong idea about this
newsgroup?  ;-)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows.  Because it's not a question of if.
It's a question of when.