Re: [News] The Google and Linux Affair in Desktop PCs

____/ Linonut on Tuesday 04 March 2008 14:51 : \____

>> FAA May Ditch Microsoft's Windows Vista And Office For Google And Linux
>> Combo
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Bowen said he's in talks with the aviation safety agency's main
>>| hardware supplier, Dell Computer, to determine if it could
>>| deliver Linux-based computers capable of accessing Google
>>| Apps through a non-Microsoft browser once the FAA's XP-based
>>| computers pass their shelf life.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197800480
>
> March 2007.  Any followup available?  I'd be surprised if "the FAA"
> would ultimately feel comfortable using Google Apps.

They had some problems (probably Windows or something) later on:

Major Flight Delays Caused By Glitch, Dense Fog

,----[ Quote ]
| AMR Corp.'s American Airlines spokesman Tim Wagner acknowledged the
| computer troubles and said the nation's largest carrier experienced
| about 50 cancellations on the East Coast, with LaGuardia departures
| being hit the hardest.
`----

http://wcbstv.com/topstories/local_story_159145243.html

If they moved to Linux, assuming it's not from Red Hat EL or Novell, you
probably wouldn't even hear about it. Nobody knew just how much Fedora was
using, until recently when someone took many photos there.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Never awaking askew, no matter what they ask you