Re: [News] Another Look at Innovative Capabilities of Linux-powered OLPC, Eee PC

____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 04 March 2008 13:44 : \____

>> ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 04 March 2008 09:38 : \____
>>
>>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> Umm,  E399 is awfully inexpensive for a laptop of such specification...
>>> 2008 is going to be a very interesting year in the linux laptop world.
>>
>> Big companies like H-P and Acer are working on low-cost ones. That might be
>> the first time large companies (with all due respect to Asustek) enter this
>> market and realise that the overpriced laptop/desktop is a dying market that
>> deserves maybe 50% of the market, not much more. It will hit them in the
>> pocket, but it's good for the customers.
>>
>> "Race to the bottom..." (Without Vista)
>>

> Asus seem to be appearing in numbers at the moment.  I've two Asus mini
> machines here now, one doing mythtv and the other one as my desktop.
> Frankly, I've more confidence in these than I have in some of the
> "major" manufacturers producing something good.  Asus have a lot of
> reasons to be very linux-compatible, HP, Acer and others are probably
> still being pulled from pillar to post.

Early talks about the Eee with Windows XP show that the cost would /DOUBLE/.
And that's after Microsoft discount. Oh, dear.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Never awaking askew, no matter what they ask you