[News] Another Look at Innovative Capabilities of Linux-powered OLPC, Eee PC

  • Subject: [News] Another Look at Innovative Capabilities of Linux-powered OLPC, Eee PC
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 08:53:07 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Coming to a watering hole near you: OLPC's mesh networking

,----[ Quote ]
| James Cameron works for a computer company in support for enterprise Linux
| customers, and is deeply immersed in electronics, radio and software
| engineering. For the past two years Cameron has devoted his diverse technical
| talents to testing the wireless network component of the One Laptop Per Child
| project.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1228527977;fp;16;fpid;1

Hands-on with the 9-inch Eee PC

,----[ Quote ]
| If you hadn't guessed from the headline, and as rumored just an hour ago,
| there's 9-inches of LCD on this thing. Actually, 8.9, but who's counting?
|
| [...]
|
| No word yet on US pricing, but we're trying to pry it out of them.
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/03/hands-on-with-the-9-inch-eee-pc/

Related and recent:

One Laptop Per Child: one trainer prepares

,----[ Quote ]
| Few computing projects cry out so much for an open, grassroots-driven
| strategy for deployment, but the government ministries that procured the XO
| systems and arranged for their disbursement have operated in a traditional,
| top-down fashion. There have been complaints about that in the media and the
| Peruvian blogosphere. Sebastian himself is talking to ministers, and they’re
| making progress in getting more transparent.
`----

http://www.oreillynet.com/onlamp/blog/2008/02/one_laptop_per_child_one_train.html

Related:

Intel: doing the dirty on OLPC

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel’s agreement with the OLPC Foundation included a ‘non disparagement’
| clause, under which Intel and One Laptop promised not to criticize each
| other, according to Nicholas Negroponte in the latest article in the Wall
| Street Journal.
|
| Still Intel tactics have violated that repeatedly to kill OLPC efforts in
| Nigeria, Libya, Pakistan, India, China and Intel is also still trying to pull
| those tactics in Mexico, Brazil.
| This is simply disgracefull of Intel, scandalous.
|
| But Negroponte has signed an agreement saying that he is not allowed to
| criticize Intel, so he is not allowed to talk about these shameless tactics
| even though Intel is the one violating the agreement.
|
| So only independant voices on the Internet can get those messages of truth
| out about Intels tactics.
|
| In Nigeria, Intel came and donated 3000 laptops to counter OLPC efforts, then
| sells 17 thousand Classmates to Nigeria at a loss.
|
| Then Microsoft corrupted Nigerian officials with 400 thousand dollars to
| install Windows XP on those instead of Mandriva Linux.
`----

http://www.p2pnet.net/story/14124

Negroponte says Intel should be "ashamed of itself"

,----[ Quote ]