[News] [Rival] Countries Complain About ECMA, Microsoft and the OOXML BRM

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Countries Complain About ECMA, Microsoft and the OOXML BRM
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 08:49:01 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Some clarifications on the OOXML Ballot Resolution Meeting

,----[ Quote ]
| The contrast with OOXML is sharp, and this brings us to another issue of
| contention. The Greek workgroup on OOXML had been handed only the Ecma
| studied all responses, not only those for Greece. It is not clear if this is
| an error by Ecma or by the Greek NB, but, in both cases, we did not have the
| time to study one thousand responses, so there would have been no difference.
| In fact, even the 80 responses that Greece studied, we did not study at the
| level of scrutiny that is required when you inspect a standard. There was no
| time for that. What we did was glance through, and make fast decisions based
| on what seems right at a quick glance.
`----

http://elot.ece.ntua.gr/te48/ooxml/brm-clarifications

BRM Concludes With Myriad Undiscussed Problems for OOXML

,----[ Quote ]
| ...the ODF Alliance said in a statement that "despite the hard work by the
| many national standards bodies and ISO/IEC, the results fell far short of
| fixing the most important errors and omissions in OOXML. More than 80 percent
| of the comments from national bodies were not discussed..."
`----

PDF: http://www.odfalliance.org/press/Release20080303.pdf
Text: http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2008/03/brm-concludes-w.html

"Malaysian delegation at the ISO meeting in Geneva (25 – 29 Feb ’08) finds the
technical issues in the draft standard OOXML unresolved satisfactorily"

,----[ Quote ]
| Malaysia's Department of Standards (STANDARDS MALAYSIA) recently found the
| Draft ISO standard, ISO/IEC DIS 29500: Office Open XML (OOXML) specification
| for electronic document formats, had the majority of its technical issues
| still not addressed satisfactorily.
`----

http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2008/03/malaysian-deleg.html

Related:

Hot stuffin' in Greece?

,----[ Quote ]
| After the voting of the Greek HoD you may ask why the votes were 14 in total,
| when the organisations appointed to the committee are just 12. That's only
| the latest of the magical wonders around OpenXML.
|
| [...]
|
| New voting members are joining the committee at the last minute:
|
|     However, during the discussion, the representative of the Information
|     Society showed the fax he had received, to which was attached the
|     decision 19103/08 of the ELOT administration, dated 1 February 2008,
|     which modifies the composition of the Committee by adding four new
|     organisations: the Ministry of Education, two departments of the Ministry
|     of Economics, and Information Society S.A. The representatives of NTUA
|     had not been informed of this decision.
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-42845/hot-stuffin-in-greece

Greece sell-out Proposal

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Hellas proposes a contract that will take over control of the
| sovereign European state. Greece would lose the right to speak about other
| products its government uses and gain the right to support the business
| interests of the vendor and its policy goals.
|
| [...]
|
| Nice proposal, Microsoft will help Greece to spy on its ICT infrastructure in
| order to weaken the procurement power of Greece for the benefit of the
| supplier. Win-Win, right?
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-35281/greece-sell-out-proposal

Dissecting the "Malaysian Halal Hub Open XML System"

,----[ Quote ]
| So is it Malaysianising Microsoft, or is it Microsofting Malaysia?
| Microsoft's paranoia and drive to make MSOOXML an international standard may
| just be its own demise.
`----

http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2008/01/dissecting-the.html

Malaysia warms to OOXML ... ?

,----[ Quote ]
| With great "wins" like this, I always wondered why the Microsofties did not
| trumpet these case studies of wonderful "industry acceptance" of MSOOXML any
| louder? Its a gold-mine to announce that independent system vendors have
| wholly adopted their spanking new specification? This is further proof that
| ISO should ratify MSOOXML immediately with this worldwide support.
|
| So is it "Well done, Microsoft Malaysia?" or is a timebomb just waiting to
| explode ala Sweden?
`----

http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2008/01/malaysia-warms.html

Microsoft admits Swedish employee promised incentives for Open XML support

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp. admitted Wednesday that an employee at its Swedish subsidiary
| offered monetary compensation to partners for voting in favor of the Office
| Open XML document format's approval as an ISO standard.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9033701

Corrupt countries were more likely to support the OOXML document format

,----[ Quote ]
| Is this just a random coincidence? The median of the CPI index of the above
| mentioned 70 countries is 3.95. Of the most corrupted half (CPI index less
| than 3.95) 23 or 77% voted for approval (approval or approval with comments)
| and 7 or 23% for disapproval; 5 abstained. Of the least corrupted half (CPI
| index more than 3.95) 13 or 54% voted for approval and 11 or 46% voted for
| disapproval; 11 abstained - see the table below.
`----

http://www.effi.org/blog/kai-2007-09-05.en.html

Microsoft accused of more OOXML standards fiddling

,----[ Quote ]