[News] Open-source Intelligence and Open Source Mashup Server

  • Subject: [News] Open-source Intelligence and Open Source Mashup Server
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 18:25:32 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Open secret: spy agencies reject essential sources

,----[ Quote ]
| Many intelligence officers still do not have access to the internet, they
| say, and the six intelligence agencies still do not have a functioning
| electronic system for sharing information.
|
| The information revolution has given the agencies access to masses of "open
| source" intelligence, especially on the internet.
`----

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/open-secret-spies-snub-prime-source/2008/03/01/1204227055173.html

New Open Source WSO2 Mashup Server

,----[ Quote ]
| WSO2, the global open source SOA company, this week launched the WSO2 Mashup
| Server 1.0, an application featuring a composition of digital resources. A
| Mashup Server is a installable software providing the platform that supports
| the development of Mashups.
`----

http://www.sundaytimes.lk/080302/FinancialTimes/ft345.html

Related:

In search for foreign intelligence, spies turn to YouTube, MySpace, blogs

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source intelligence collection focuses on compiling and analyzing
| unclassified data from publicly available sources for use by the CIA, policy
| makers and other law enforcement agencies. Formerly known as the Foreign
| Broadcast Information Service, the Open Source Center's mission in recent
| years has shifted from translating newspaper and television reports from
| abroad to culling the Web for information on foreign targets. The center
| trains intelligence agents and others in government.
`----

http://rawstory.com/news/2008/In_search_for_foreign_intelligence_spies_0207.html

The Wikipedia way to better intelligence

,----[ Quote ]
| The lesson? Advanced technology and Web-savvy citizenry now make
| it possible for open-source information gathering to rival, if
| not surpass, the clandestine intelligence produced by government
| agencies.
|
| Indeed, open-source methods have already proved their worth in
| counterterrorism.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/ybroadwell

Open-source intelligence moving to the fore

,----[ Quote ]
| Naquin told the audience attending the GeoINT 2006 conference that John
| Negroponte, the director of National Intelligence, believes that "open
| source can be the first manifestation of an integrated community."
|
| [...]
|
| "This year... we have a plus-up in our base" budget, Naquin
| said. "The stars are aligned as well as they've been in my
| lifetime for open source."
`----

http://www.gcn.com/online/vol1_no1/42604-1.html

US Intelligence Goes Wikipedia Route With 'Intellipedia'

,----[ Quote ]