[News] New Release of a GNU/Linux Distribution for Routers

  • Subject: [News] New Release of a GNU/Linux Distribution for Routers
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2008 17:49:40 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Free x86 router distro gains faster routing, Linux-like shell

,----[ Quote ]
| Vyatta moved its distro to Debian in a VC2 release about a year ago, and last
| fall shipped a VC3 release that added PSec VPN, multilink PPP, and BGP
| scaling.

Days ago:

Linux-based cellular/WiFi phone router ships

,----[ Quote ]
| Agito Networks announced the availability of its Linux-powered RoamAnywhere
| Mobility Router. Designed to help enterprises cut mobile phone fees, the
| router works with dual-mode phones, routing calls over WiFi when available,
| and passing calls between WiFi and cellular networks.

Linux-based computer boasts router, switch

,----[ Quote ]
| A Taiwanese embedded-computer vendor has announced a rugged, Linux-based
| computer equipped with a router and switch. The Korenix JetBox 9300 is based
| on an ARM9-based Atmel 180MHz RISC processor, and includes a five-port
| Ethernet router and a lightweight managed switch.

Upgraded Vyatta software attempts to make users think twice about Cisco

,----[ Quote ]
| Since its debut in February 2006, Vyatta’s network software has been
| downloaded nearly 100,000 times, the company says. Like other Linux and open
| source programs, VC3 runs on commodity x86 hardware, which allows for low
| cost purchase and implementation , proponents say.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2007/110107-vyatta-upgrades-software.html?ts0hb&story=ab5_vyatta

Vyatta Delivers Twice the Performance of Cisco at Half the Price

,----[ Quote ]
| Vyatta today announced the release of independent third-party testing
| results from The Tolly Group that measured the throughput and
| performance of the open-source, x86-based Vyatta router and
| firewall appliance versus the proprietary Cisco 2821 ISR.
|
| "This report shatters the myth that proprietary hardware products
| are a better choice than standard x86-based systems for network
| infrastructure," said Dave Roberts, VP of strategy and marketing
| at Vyatta. "For the majority of routing applications, open-source
| software and x86-based hardware can easily address the performance
| requirements and at significantly lower price points."
`----

http://www.topix.net/content/prweb/2794294903426800112404643709233288209670

Comcast invests in Vyatta, open source router maker

,----[ Quote ]
| The company has raised a total of $18.5 million so far. The
| investment indicates that cable carriers are getting serious
| about chasing the small and medium sized businesses, and
| competing with the telephone companies in more than just
| consumer markets.
`----

http://gigaom.com/2007/04/01/vyatta-comcast/

Vyatta and Liquid Computing Team to Extend Open-Source Networking to Fabric
Computing

,----[ Quote ]
| Vyatta announced that Liquid Computing has joined the Vyatta Ready Partner
| Program. Liquid Computing’s LiquidIQ has passed interoperability testing with
| Vyatta software and is now approved as Vyatta Ready. The combination of
| technologies provides data center customers with a high-performance
| networking and computing infrastructure with better manageability and lower
| costs than other legacy solutions.
`----

http://java.sys-con.com/read/499322_p.htm

3Com Brings Enterprise-Caliber IP Telephony to SMBs

,----[ Quote ]
| As part of 3Com's commitment to providing the platform and support for
| clients to implement best-of-breed Open Source solutions, the company also is
| launching the 3Com Asterisk Appliance, an Open Source voice-over-IP (VoIP)
| system based on Digium's Asterisk Appliance.
`----

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/-3com-brings-enterprise-caliber-ip-telephony-smbs-/2007/10/01/2980799.htm

3Com ‘reenters’ RP, bets on open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Orcun Tezel, technical director of 3Com South Asia, explained that although
| 3Com routers and switches now come with pre-integrated open-source
| applications, its Open Services Networking (OSN) further
| allows "best-ofbreed" applications to run on the Linux-based platform.
`----

http://www.mb.com.ph/INFO20070904101906.html

3Com chooses an open strategy

,----[ Quot ]
| The OSN infrastructure runs on Linux.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/communications/0,39044192,62030960,00.htm

3Com, IBM extend VOIP/messaging interoperability

,----[ Quote ]
| The VCX/Sametime interoperability also extends to 3Com and IBM
| software running on stand-alone servers. (3Com ships VCX systems
| on a Linux-based appliance, and IBM's Sametime runs on a variety
| of operating systems and server hardware).
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=87960963&rid=-50

3Com: Turnaround Depends on IBM Deal

,----[ Quote ]
| And that open source voice over IP system, called Asterisk, has reached
| its tipping point. But instead of ignoring such threats, 3Com appears
| ready to embrace them. In fact, I hear that 3Com plans to address
| the Asterisk market within the next few months.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070323/30493_id.html?.v=1

3Com Evaluating Askerisk Strategy

,----[ Quote ]
| The manager politely danced around the question, then indicated that
| 3Com planned to address Asterisk without necessarily competing with
| the open source system. Sounds like 3Com is piecing together a
| strategy to embrace Asterisk. Could there be a partnership or
| acquisition around the corner?
|
| [...]
|
| Supporting Asterisk would propel 3Com?s open platform strategy
| forward.
`----

http://techiqmag.com/2007/02/26/3com-evaluating-askerisk-strategy/

3Com touts open source

,----[ Quote ]
| 3Com's OSN module is a Linux-based server blade that fits into
| the company's 6000 series routers. It is designed to run
| applications that benefit from being close to the network
| layer, the company says.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/012907-3com-open-source.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

3Com introduces first 'open services' product

,----[ Quote ]
| Launched at the end of last year, OSN is basically an effort to bring
| some server capabilities into network appliances by using a
| Linux-based server blade, as well as to allow users to plug
| open-source modules into the appliance.
|
| [...]
|
| Interestingly, there is a twist in 3Com's adoption of open source:
| Its founder, Metcalfe, was once known to be anti-open source.
| Fortunately, Metcalfe has since become a convert in line with the OSN.
`----

http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailfeatures.asp?fileid=20070611.Q01&irec=0

Networks finally learning to work together

,----[ Quote ]
| A more technically interesting solution that 3Com has just rolled out is a
| Linux blade running in its high end switches.
|
| "Imagine a switch or router with a little bit of extra hardware
| running Linux. We are inviting our partners to put their stuff on
| there, essentially a Linux PC on a blade. It's not about replacing
| servers, it's about putting an app into the network, like WAN
| optimization, packet analysis, netflow, security, things like
| this," he said.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/communications/0,39044192,62017006,00.htm

How to Choose the Best WRT54G Router for You

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/3717916