Re: [News] BECTA Allows Microsoft to Charge Money for GNU/Linux PCs, FOSS

____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 20 March 2008 11:38 : \____

http://www.siriusit.co.uk/myblog/microsoft-tax-on-linux-in-schools-must-end-says-becta.html

>>> The grammar school which my sons attend is moving to Openoffice this
>>> year.  The primary school at which I'm a governor already has a linux
>>> mail server and web filter, and we're looking to kit the school out with
>>> mini PCs of the Elonex/Eee/OLPC variety starting this year too.
>>>
>>> Fortunately, at my school, we do not have a "school" licence which would
>>> enable Microsoft to charge for non-Microsoft machines.  I'm not sure
>>> about others.
>>>
>>> Use open platforms!
>>
>> Sandwich Technology College (UK) has approximately 1,000 computers.
>> There's nothing online about it (yet), but I understand they intend to
>> migrate their machines to OpenOffice immediately.
>>

> This cannot be a coincidence.  Maybe it's going to start in Kent :-)

It's good to see that this becomes a reality. You're pulling a Linpro.

The BECTA interview has a headline that defends BECTA, but the reality often
suggests otherwise. At least they learned to shun Vista and MSO07.

This sedentary lifestyle on the Net leads to fatigue. And then you wake up.
Mem:    515500k total,   444356k used,    71144k free,     2952k buffers