[News] Google Claimed to be Playing Politics While Microsoft Continues to Slip

  • Subject: [News] Google Claimed to be Playing Politics While Microsoft Continues to Slip
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 02:36:10 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Google playing politics with open source

,----[ Quote ]
| It’s a false choice, in part, because neither Google nor Microsoft can come
| to the argument with clean hands. Google’s open source efforts are mainly
| done under Apache licenses, which don’t require they be shared. It does not
| support the AGPL.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2143

The sum of Google’s fears

,----[ Quote ]
| The Internet does not represent one market, but dozens. Search may appear to
| be the base of that market, but we’re not talking about a pyramid here, as we
| were with software. There are far more dimensions to the Internet
| opportunity.
|
| I doubt Microsoft could even achieve dominance in search, buying Yahoo.
| Yahoo’s search capabilities aren’t constrained by capital, or by people.
| Money is not the reason Google dominates search at all.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2145

Microsoft lost some more search engine market share in the US in the latest
report from February (ComScore).

Related and recent:

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

`----