[News] New Flaws Found in Software Patents and the USPTO

  • Subject: [News] New Flaws Found in Software Patents and the USPTO
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 04:30:30 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Costs and Benefits of the Patent System

,----[ Quote ]
| I have only just started the book, and I may not be sufficiently invested in
| the topic to go through it entirely. But the main thesis seems sound.
|
| My intuition is that drug patents are ok, but software patents are bad. The
| authors' perspective supports this intuition. It is easier for drug patents
| to be based on clear boundaries and to satisfy the "notice function."
`----

http://econlog.econlib.org/archives/2008/03/costs_and_benef.html

(Mis)Managing the Patent System

,----[ Quote ]
| The current patent system in the U.S. drains entrepreneurship and
| small-business growth, a new study shows. Problems include high litigation
| costs, a decline in patent quality and differences among nations in terms of
| patent law.
`----

http://news.thomasnet.com/mt/rst.cgi/1437

Related:

Who is the world's biggest patent troll?

,----[ Quote ]
| In two consecutive days, The Wall Street Journal presented two different
| answers. The first is not surprising: Intellectual Ventures, the brainchild
| of ex-Microsoft executive Nathan Myhrvold. It's now out "to raise as much as
| $1 billion to help develop and patent inventions, many of them from
| universities in Asia."
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9816163-16.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Opinion: behind the Acacia suit