[News] Microsoft Compared to Junk Food, GNU/Linux to a Restaurant

  • Subject: [News] Microsoft Compared to Junk Food, GNU/Linux to a Restaurant
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 02:29:43 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
'Fortune Cookie Chronicles': 40,000 egg rolls... to go

,----[ Quote ]
| Luddite me made a surprisingly funny joke to two techies after reading
| Jennifer 8. Lee's delightful The Fortune Cookie Chronicles: Adventures in the
| World of Chinese Food. "McDonald's is to Microsoft as Chinese restaurants are
| to Linux," I chirped confidently. My friends at first couldn't believe what
| had just come out of my mouth – technology and I do not get along – and then
| they couldn't stop laughing.
|
| For those of you still scratching your head, here's Lee's more thorough
| explanation: "If McDonald's is the Windows of the dining world (where one
| company controls the standards), then Chinese restaurants are akin to the
| Linux operating system, where a decentralized network of programmers
| contributes to the underlying source code. The code is available for anyone
| to use, modify, or redistribute freely."
`----

http://www.csmonitor.com/2008/0318/p14s01-bogn.html

Related:

Linux for everyone

,----[ Quote ]
| I found myself just enthralled by the breadth and depth of the tools that
| were available from Linux, even in those very early days. It’s like going
| from living in the desert to walking into an all-you-can-eat buffet.
`----

http://www.cpilive.net/v3/inside.aspx?scr=n&NID=1885&cat=INTERVIEWS&pub=COMPUTER%20NEWS%20MIDDLE%20EAST&k=Linux
%20Ubuntu
http://tinyurl.com/2qt2v3