[News] GNU/Linux on the Desktop as Liberation, Not Just Domination

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux on the Desktop as Liberation, Not Just Domination
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 04:17:50 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Open source: world domination or world liberation?

,----[ Quote ]
| Linus Torvalds used to talk about "world domination" as his goal for Linux.
| These days, though, while we seem to be making progress toward this end, we
| also appear to be increasingly complacent. We downplay the ideology that
| underlies open source in favor of "safe" rhetoric about lower sales and
| marketing costs and such.
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9895063-16.html

Replacing one Windows with another 'Windows' (or worse -- one mafia vendor with
another) would be pointless.

Here is a new example of someone who thinks of this transition as a money
saver.

Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| At the end of last year, I tried Linux Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon. Two words to
| fully describe it; Super Duper! I seriously am looking forward the next
| release Linux Ubuntu 8.04.
| Recently, I went to a forum entitled "Linux vs Windows". Guess what? Windows
| was smacked down to the ground!
|
| Planning not to put stuffs too much in words, I'll point out several winning
| and losing points of Ubuntu.
|
| WINNING POINTS;
|
| 1. Nothing about Linux you have to pay, unless you are planning to use it for
| corporate. The idea of 'free' here is not only 'zero cost', but 'freedom' for
| redistribution, development and alternation.
|
| 2. No need superb computer to run Linux at superb performance...
`----

http://wiseup88.blogspot.com/2008/03/ubuntu.html

Related:

Liberation Fonts