Re: Expect news soon regarding Munich's FOSS migration

____/ Matt on Sunday 16 March 2008 16:35 : \____

http://www.muenchen.de/cms/prod1/mde/_de/rubriken/Rathaus/40_dir/limux/publ/first_year.pdf

> of which I provide an excerpt:
>
>> The first year LiMux in Munich
>> Status quo of the LiMux project
>>  1000 work stations migrated to LiMux
>>  6000 work stations using OpenOffice.org
>>  > 90% work stations using Firefox and Thunderbird
>
> Since they migrated 1000 workstations to Linux in one year, any simple
> fool can tell you it will take them 14 years to migrate all 14,000
> workstations.

It's not quite the case. In the first year they would have to look for or to
port applications to Linux (that's what they wrote somewhere). Also, Linux
evolves all the time (Wine, for example, improves), so the beginning is the
slowest.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    X-No-Archive: No. Stand behind what you say
 17:00:04 up 52 days,  2:54,  4 users,  load average: 0.63, 0.42, 0.69