Re: [News] The US Navy Dumps Proprietary Software

____/ Mark Kent on Friday 14 March 2008 08:34 : \____

>> Navy to focus only on open systems
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| "The days of proprietary technology must come to an end," [Vice Admiral
>>| Mark Edwards, deputy chief of naval operations for communications] said.
>>| "We will no longer accept systems that couple hardware, software and data."
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.fcw.com/online/news/151858-1.html
>>
>> The Navy already uses a lot of Linux. FOSS is winning!
>
> The US Navy is quite right here, although they did have that wonderful
> problem with a frigate needing to be towed home because Windows died, so
> the probably have a particular concern regarding proprietary systems.

Another issue might be dependency on Windows. Its lost direction (Vista [2])
and uncertain future aside (Microsoft is not far from debt [3]), the United
States Navy cannot afford to depend only on a group of developers in India
(that's Microsoft by the way [1]), where binaries rather than source code are
produced.

__

[1] Microsoft India centre working on Windows 7

,----[ Quote ]
| Designers and engineers at Microsoft R&D centre in India have a new mandate
| for development of Windows 7, the next generation operating system from
| Microsoft Corporation, slated for release in 2009-10.
`----

http://www.moneycontrol.com/india/news/business/microsoft-india-centre-workingwindows-7/09/56/296305

[2] Microsoft : Windows 7 still in planning stage and will take approximately 3
years to develop.

,----[ Quote ]
| January 26th, 2008. Looks like Microsoft is NOT planning to release Windows 7
| in 2009. Microsoft's official response, by an email dated 26th January, 2008,
| to WinVistaClub states that Windows 7 is still in the planning stage and will
| take approximately 3 years to develop.
`----

http://www.winvistaclub.com/i7.html

[3] Microsoft says to borrow money for Yahoo deal

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp said on Monday it may borrow money for the first time in its
| history to fund a portion of its $44.6 billion unsolicited offer for Yahoo
| Inc.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/companyNews/idUSN0455692920080205

VISTA - Venereally-Infectious, Sexually-Transmitted Aliment
Mem:    515500k total,   446268k used,    69232k free,     1712k buffers