Re: [News] MSBBC's DRM Futile, Windows-only Sellout Costs Them Dearly

____/ Mark Kent on Friday 14 March 2008 08:30 : \____

>> BBC calls DRM cops on iPlayer download party
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Tech chief Ashley Highfield has fingered such contract restrictions as the
>>| reason why the desktop download client, which accounts for about a ninth of
>>| iPlayer usage, has only appeared on Windows so far.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03/13/iplayer_iphone_drm_loophole_closed/
>>
>> Excluding the Microsoft/BBC's number one rival (proof below)? How come?
>>

> Mr Highfield, does he still believe that Microsoft are doing this for
> anyone other than themselves, I wonder?
>
> Hell will freeze over before Microsoft produce a good client for Linux
> for the iPlayer.

I'll dig up the latest SEC filing from Microsoft and shortly will post to show
that Linux is Microsoft's number 1 threat based on its financial/strategic
division/s, not just Ballmer's potentially impulsive emotions. Guys and dolls
like Ashley Highfield are a shame for the BBC. They are what Georg, the
president of the FSFE, recently called "agents of monopolisation". Something
for him to talk about on that next trip to Seattle... Maybe he'll get a
Ferarri, not just a Ferarri laptop.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Open Source Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
 11:20:04 up 49 days, 21:14,  4 users,  load average: 3.02, 2.38, 2.13