[News] Windows Games and Commercial Games Run Fine in GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] Windows Games and Commercial Games Run Fine in GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 22:24:30 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Play Windows games on Linux with PlayOnLinux

,----[ Quote ]
| At the core of PlayOnLinux is Wine, a compatibility layer that lets you run
| many Windows programs over Linux. But Wine isn't always easy to use. It's a
| command-line program, and using it for tasks like tweaking the Windows
| environment or individual programs remains a complex task that you can
| accomplish only via command-line options. This is where PlayOnLinux comes
| into play. PlayOnLinux provides a front end for most Wine options to help you
| install, manage, and uninstall Windows-based games and applications.
|
| I installed PlayOnLinux on a Fedora 8 system that I created with the
| installable Fedora Live games spin. The minimal installation instructions are
| in the 491KB tar package. There's also a 497KB precompiled PlayOnLinux binary
| for Debian-based systems like Ubuntu.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/128773

Linux and Games

,----[ Quote ]
| They’re few and far between, but some new-release commercial games from the
| Windows world do make their way to Linux, typically through downloadable
| Linux binaries that work with the data files from the Windows release. iD
| Software has used this approach for years, porting all of its titles since
| the days of Wolf3D and Doom. Some third-party titles that make use of iD
| engines have received similar ports, such as Raven’s Quake 4 (available just
| two days after the Windows release), and the brand-spanking new Enemy
| Territory: Quake Wars from Splash Damage.
`----

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/article.asp?CIID=105627

Related:

PlayOnLinux

,----[ Quote ]
| To sum it up, POL is a promising frontend installer for Windows and Dos
| programs. Although there are some scripts that are outdated (POL uses Wine
| 0.9.37 to run MSOffice 2003, and the IE6 installation script - which uses the
| IE4Linux script - doesn't work properly on the current 0.9.53), the advantage
| of POL online repositories (and consequently an active community
| contributing) gives it the upper end in updating installation scripts for
| supported programs.
`----

http://wine-review.blogspot.com/2008/01/playonlinux.html

Does WINE + Linux support more Windows apps than Vista?

,----[ Quote ]
| WINE supports most of the applications which are made for Windows
| 2.0 up to Windows XP. WINE has the ability to run different versions
| of IE, run most of Adobe's products, run World of Warcraft, Half Life
| 2, Microsoft Office 2003, XP, 2000 and 97, Visio, Quicken,
|
|     * Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars
|     * Need for Speed Carbon
|
| [...]
|
| What about drivers, hardware support, and upgrades?
|
| Want to upgrade you XP to Vista? no chance. might as well do a fresh
| install and shell out $300.
`----

http://jagtalon.wordpress.com/2007/04/30/does-wine-linux-support-more-apps-than-vista/

StreamMyGame launches Linux player ; Play PC games on your PS3

,----[ Quote ]
| StreamMyGame.com announced today the release of its free Linux Player, an
| application that enables you to play any PC game via a PlayStation 3 running
| Linux.
`----

http://www.kdcstaffs.com/it/main_view.php?nNum=4721&page=&part=Real-Time

ATI: Linux vs. Windows Vista