[News] Wine Beautified, OpenOffice.org Similar Enough to Microsoft Office

  • Subject: [News] Wine Beautified, OpenOffice.org Similar Enough to Microsoft Office
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 11:51:21 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Wine: Improving Look And Feel

,----[ Quote ]
| A lot of people complains about Wine looks. But not everyone realizes that
| one can make it look neat easily. This article preents a few simple tips to
| convert your default Wine to a special one.
`----

http://polishlinux.org/apps/window-managers/wine-improving-look-and-feel/

30 Similarities Between Microsoft Office Word and OpenOffice.org Writer

,----[ Quote ]
| Using a new product requires some re-learning. That’s unavoidable. But you
| rarely have to learn an entirely new set of skills—it’s just that the new
| stuff sticks out at us. This article is to emphasize the similarities between
| OpenOffice.org and Microsoft Office; the things you don’t have to re-learn. I
| hope that not only will this show some of the similarities but will show you
| some shortcuts you might not have known about in either program.
`----

http://www.fanaticattack.com/2008/30-similarities-between-microsoft-office-word-and-openofficeorg-writer.html

Related:

Stop Wine From Beating Your Windows Apps With The Ugly Stick

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu 8.04 is planned to have usability improvements for Wine, among these
| improvements is a theme for Wine applications that matches the GTK theme.
| Can’t wait until April?
`----

http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2008/01/04/stop-wine-from-beating-your-windows-apps-with-the-ugly-stick/

Wine is Getting Good

,----[ Quote ]
| Wine is at version 0.9.47. As it nears version 1.0, it's becoming clear that
| the goals of the project are being met.
`----

http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/21069

Office software shootout: OpenOffice.org Writer vs. Micosoft Word, round three

,----[ Quote ]
| As in the previous two comparisons, Writer emerged as the winner in the
| majority of categories. However, in many categories, the decision is not as
| obvious as in previous comparisons. For the first time in several releases,
| Word's designers seem to be making significant changes. These changes are not
| always successful -- in fact, the reordering of menus into ribbons might be
| seen by the cynical as an attempt to hide some long-term embarrassments, such
| as the ongoing problems with master documents. But at least the effort is
| being made. Writer, by contrast, seems to be standing still, and some of its
| problems -- notably, cross-references -- are almost as long-neglected as some
| of Word's.
|
| As free software, Writer has advantages that Word is unlikely to match -- its
| philosophy, its price, its easy availability, and its frequent updates.
| However, speaking only in terms of functionality, Writer seems to be coasting
| a little on its reputation. If that continues, its superiority may be eroded,
| or dissolved altogether.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/118986

Vietnam Switches to OpenOffice.org!

,----[ Quote ]
| More than 20,000 computers from Party offices nationwide will switch to using
| OpenOffice instead of Microsoft Office from early 2008.
`----

http://saigontimes.com.vn/daily/BRIEFs.asp?loai=1&Sobao=3022&Ten=briefly%20today

Thailand: Egat turns to open source to cut costs

,----[ Quote ]
| There are 7,000 PC units based on Open Office or 70 per cent of all 12,000 PC
| units in the organisation.
`----

http://nationmultimedia.com/2007/08/28/technology/technology_30046747.php

Dell Offers Ubuntu, What About OpenOffice?

,----[ Quote ]
| According to the IdeaStorm website, pre-installed OpenOffice is
| "Under Consideration," which appears to be just below "Coming
| Soon" in their hierarchy of possible implementation. Let's
| hope it moves to "Already Offered" soon!
`----

http://www.solidoffice.com/archives/552

Open Office vs. Microsoft Office

,----[ Quote ]
| This has been just a short overview comparing Open Office to Microsoft
| Office to demonstrate that you don't have to pay a lot of money to get
| a great Office Suite.  In fact, you may not have to spend any money to
| get a great Office Suite.
`----

http://www.ubuntunoob.com/index2.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&pop=1&page=0&Itemid=1

Microsoft Office or OpenOffice?

,----[ Quote ]
| Let's turn to Microsoft Office. Again, it brings in a ton of
| revenue to Redmond, even though there are full office productivity
| suites that compete with it. My guess is that many of you can't
| name one though -- and that is what Microsoft counts on, which is
| branding power. The full-featured OpenOffice productivity suite
| is pretty darn impressive (I've used it), and it's completely
| free and interoperable with Microsoft Office (not sure about
| Office 2007). Why don't more people use it then? Lack of knowing
| it exists is a possibility, and having to download the suite or
| order it for about $10 on CD may be obstacles. Plus, you can't
| find it on Best Buy shelves. If customers start becoming smarter
| and find out out about OpenOffice or even Google Inc.'s Google
| Apps, could a large piece of Microsoft's kingdom come
| crashing down?
|

| [Disclosure: I own MSFT shares as of 5-29-07]
`----

http://www.bloggingstocks.com/2007/05/29/microsoft-office-or-openoffice/

NeoOffice: It's Ready for Primetime

,----[ Quote ]
| Four weeks ago I decided to try using Neo Office, the Open Source
| word processor, spreadsheet, presentation and drawing program. Neo
| Office is based on Open Office which was created by Sun Microsystems,
| and then released out into the wild as an Open Source project. It
| was developed to work on Windows, Linux and Mac OSX.
`----

http://www.surfbits.com/?p=1160

Chinese software company to tailor OpenOffice

,----[ Quote ]
| RedFlag produces a Chinese variation of OpenOffice.org called
| RedOffice. The company is a subsidiary of the Chinese Academy of Science.
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9722855-7.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=NewsBlog

IBM Adds Lotus Notes Code To OpenOffice Project

,----[ Quote ]
| The stakes are high as an increasing number of government and enterprise
| software buyers are insisting that the applications they purchase conform to
| internationally recognized standards.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=201805296&cid=nl_IWK_daily

IBM to give OpenOffice the Outlook e-mail killer it needs?

,----[ Quote ]
| Has the Outlook killer for OpenOffice finally arrived?
|
| OpenOffice is the most promising open source alternative to Microsoft Office
| that runs on most Linux distributions, Windows, Macintosh and BSD but to date
| it has lacked an integrated e-mail service such as the Outlook client that is
| integrated in Microsoft Office.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1401

Why OpenOffice Needs IBM

,----[ Quote ]
| Contributing to an open source Outlook effort would help IBM, OpenOffice, and
| all of us in search of a great PIM-Email-Address Book solution.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Greenfield/?p=113

Touch of button opens up IBM open source technologies

,----[ Quote ]
| The syndication tool allows users to access a wide range of open source
| technologies across a variety of topics including Web 2.0 technologies, game
| development and Web innovation through a web site called IBM developerWorks.
`----

http://media-newswire.com/release_1053946.html

Migrating a city government to OpenOffice

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid39_gci1264406,00.html