[News] Reviews of the Blob-enhanced Ubuntu with KDE (Linux Mint 4.0 Daryna)

  • Subject: [News] Reviews of the Blob-enhanced Ubuntu with KDE (Linux Mint 4.0 Daryna)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 11:43:36 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Linux Mint 4.0 Daryna KDE Community Edition

,----[ Quote ]
| You see I've always looked upon Mint with confusion; as a derivative of
| Ubuntu I never quite understood why it existed. Sure there was a time where
| preloading codecs and software was a desirable thing but now days everyone
| has tackled that problem in different ways - thus making "out of the box"
| releases like Mint a little redundant. There are some really interesting
| things about Mint that deviate from that stereotype massively.
`----

http://www.distro-review.com/review-linux-mint-4-0-daryna-kde-community-edition

Some nice photos here (KDE promotion):

KDE at CeBIT 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| During the event, members of the KDE projects gave a couple of talks in the
| Linux Forum. On Saturday, Franz Keferböck talked about graphic effects in
| KDE4 and Sven Krohlas gave an introduction to Amarok, while on Sunday,
| Carsten Niehaus and Frederik Gladhorn performed a live demonstration of KDE4
| and its applications.
`----

http://dot.kde.org/1205247360/

Related:

Release Notes for Linux Mint 4.0 Daryna KDE Community Edition, by Jamie Boo
Birse

,----[ Quote ]
| Daryna KDE is nearly as minty as the main edition now. The packages are
| (safely) upto date and the kernel is the Gutsy Gibbon kernel 2.6.22-14.
`----

http://linuxmint.com/rel_daryna_kde.php

ReviewLinux.Com: First Look Linux Mint 4.0 KDE

,----[ Quote ]
| Thought I would take a quick look at the latest release of Linux Mint.  Linux
| Mint 4.0 KDE is just under 1.0 gig and now has to be placed on a DVD.  The
| install process was easy and smooth.  The LiveDVD works fine also but I
| decided to install it to my hard drive and take a few screenshots for your
| enjoyment.
`----

http://www.reviewlinux.com/?m=show&id=9685

Cassandra KDE Community Edition [Released]

,----[ Quote ]
| This release is based on Bianca-KDE and compatible with all Feisty
| repositories. It comes with KDE 3.5.6 and a Linux kernel 2.6.20-15.
| Openoffice, Thunderbird and Sunbird replaced Koffice and Kontact. Beryl 0.2.1
| is included with Beryl-Manager.
`----

http://linuxmint.com/cassandra-kde.html

Review of Linux Mint Bianca KDE Edition - Ubuntu derivative

,----[ Quote ]
| With all the hype surrounding Ubuntu at the moment I think it's
| important not to overlook the other recent releases. One of these
| is Linux Mint Bianca: KDE Edition.
`----

http://www.seopher.com/articles/review_of_linux_mint_bianca_kde_edition__ubuntu_derivative
http://tinyurl.com/yrsql5

"Bianca KDE Edition" [Released]

,----[ Quote ]
| The default selection of packages is large and very up to date:
|
|     * KDE 3.5.6
|     * Amarok 1.4.5
|     * Koffice 1.6.2
|     * Firefox 2.0.0.3
`----

http://www.linuxmint.com/20070420.html

Linux Mint issues second KDE version test

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux Mint team this week made available the second release candidate
| of its Ubuntu-based Linux Mint 2.2, KDE edition. The release carries
| a 2.6.17 kernel (same as the most recent GNOME desktop version, which
| came out a week ago) along with several important improvements,
| according to the project.

Review: Linux Mint 2.2 Beta 020 "Bianca KDE Edition"

,----[ Quote ]
| While it is always nice to have another Linux distribution, because
| choice is good, I didn't see any compelling reason to use Linux Mint
| over the Ubuntu which it is based off of. The look is slightly
| different, with some different configuration options here and there.
| I can't really say it offers anything special over Ubuntu, but you never
| know, there are no doubt future improvements that the Linux Mint team
| will make. Hopefully they fix the video driver issue so I can try it
| out on my desktop.
`----

http://www.triedit.org/review/review-linux-mint-22-beta-2-bianca-kde-edition/

Linux Mint "Bianca" KDE Edition Beta 020: A Small Review

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux Mint is an Ubuntu-based distro whose goal in life, per its
| website, "is to produce an elegant, up to date and comfortable
| GNU/Linux desktop distribution." The developers have released
| both GNOME-based and KDE-based versions in the past, and their
| latest version, v2.2 "Bianca," is already final in its GNOME
| incarnation. They just released a beta version of "Bianca KDE
| Edition" using KDE v3.5.6. The final version is to be released
| later this month.
`----

http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/15051

"Bianca KDE Edition" - BETA 020