[News] [Rival] Windows Home Server Turns Out to be Total Disaster

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Windows Home Server Turns Out to be Total Disaster
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 03:12:31 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Microsoft admits big delay on Home Server bug fix

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has admitted that it will not deliver a fix to a Windows Home
| Server data corruption bug it first discovered late last year until June at
|                                                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| the earliest.
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03/11/microsoft_windows_home_server_bug/

Even a Microsoft fan warns people to stay away from it.

Stay Away from Home Server Day Care

,----[ Quote ]
| The problem is fundamental in several ways. Data corruption or deletion
| occurs "when certain programs are used to edit or transfer files that are
| stored on a Windows Home Server-based computer that has more than one hard
| drive," according to the Microsoft support document. So, the problems are
| with file copying and data storage—both fundamental features—and occurring in
| the likeliest of scenarios: Multiple hard drives. Surely Microsoft must have
| known that the earliest adopters would be enthusiasts?
|
| Nine programs are associated with the data problems, seven of them from
| Microsoft.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/server/stay_away_from_home_server_day_care.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

In case you wonder why Windows Server 2008 had virtually no marketing, it's
because it is as bad as its siblings, Home Server and Vista. Microsoft has
serious problems and it will attack rivals like a cornered animal (with FUD,
Mono, Silverfish, lawsuits by proxy, OOXML-style briberies, blackmail etc).

Related:

Data Corruption Bug - List of Potential Applications Affected Grows

,----[ Quote ]
| In summary, Microsoft has reproduced the bug successfully with the following
| applications:
|
|     * Windows Vista Photo Gallery
|     * Windows Live Photo Gallery
|     * Microsoft Office OneNote 2007
|     * Microsoft Office OneNote 2003
|     * Microsoft Office Outlook 2007
|     * Microsoft Money 2007
|     * SyncToy 2.0 Beta
|     * Intuit QuickBooks
|     * uTorrent
|
| Home Server users have reported the issue occurring with the following list
| of applications:
|
|     * Photoshop Elements
|     * Zune Software
|     * Apple iTunes
|     * TagScanner
|     * Mozilla Thunderbird
|     * Adobe Lightroom
|     * Intuit QuickenMS Digital Image Library
|     * MP3BookHelper
|     * ACDSee
|     * WinAmp
|     * Windows Media Player 11
|     * Microsoft Office Excel
|     * Visual DataFlex
|
| So, to put this in perspective, the list of potential applications affected
| is growing.
`----

http://www.wegotserved.co.uk/2008/02/21/data-corruption-bug-list-of-potential-applications-affected-grows/

News Briefs: 1-17-08

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows Home Server Anti-evangelism. Microsoft technical evangelist Volker
| Will is really unhappy about Windows Home Server. I'm a big fan of the
| product marketing, but Will's anti-endorsement has me wondering about getting
| a HP MediaSmart Server as planned.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/security/news_briefs_11708.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

Windows Home Server bug corrupts files

,----[ Quote ]
| Given that the point of Windows Home Server is to allow you to store
| your media files, a bug in the storage process that could result in
| corrupted files is bound to get attention.
|
| Microsoft has issued a support document for the 13 or so (just
| kidding) people using Windows Home Server, the company's latest
| product for those attempting to build the digital home of the future.
| Apparently there's a flaw in the way Windows Home Server works with
| certain Microsoft applications, such as Windows Vista Photo Gallery,
| that could result in corrupted files if you use those applications to
| save files to the server. A list of the specific applications can be
| found in the support document.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-13579_3-9838093-37.html?tag=newsmap

A Non-obvious Use for Debbie (a Debian 4.0 Home Server)

,----[ Quote ]
| So far Debbie has worked in all of the relatively simple roles I've put her
| to. AVI, MOV and JPG files all work well on either the Linux or Windows
| clients when served by Debbie. PDFs work in either Linux or Windows. They
| even work when accessed by browser plug-ins, either FireFox 2 or IE6 or 7.
| Copying files to and from Debbie by the kids has been easy to implement.
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10007038o-2000440676b,00.htm

Welcome to the Ubuntu Home Server Project

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu Home Server (UHS) will be an edition of the Ubuntu operating system
| which allows users to administer their home network.
`----

http://www.ubuntuhomeserver.org/

Who needs Windows Home Server with Linux around?

,----[ Quote ]
| Is this a joke? I only recently started paying attention to Windows Home
| Server, since I tend to focus more on desktop operating systems and
| enterprise server systems. So I didn't realize until now that WHS is really
| just a vanilla file server.

Will bad backups doom Windows Home Server?

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft just announced it's working on Windows Home Server, which
| among other features, will automatically back up files on all PCs in
| the home. But if the product uses the same kind of brain-dead backup
| built into Windows Vista, this is a product that will be dead on arrival.
|
| The backup tool built into Windows Vista may be the worst utility
| every packed into an operating system. It doesn't allow you to back
| up individual files, folders or even file types. Instead, you have to
| back up every single file and folder of broad generic types.
|
| For example, if you want to back up a single picture, you have to back
| up every single graphic of every graphic file type on your entire PC,
| including all the graphics that Vista itself uses. This means you can
| be forced to back up hundreds of gigabytes of files if you only want
| to back up a few family photos.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/blogs/node/4303

Windows Home Server fan club [Shills?] beats me up for asking if WHS is
Microsoft’s next flop

,----[ Quote ]
| Literally within minutes of each other (strangely coincidental), I received
| two e-mails — one from a colleague and the other from someone who concealed
| their identity — that basically told me I was out of line for questioning the
| chances that Microsoft’s Windows Home Server will succeed.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Berlind/?p=851

Home Servers Hold Big Promise, Limited Appeal

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.smartmoney.com/Techsmart/index.cfm?story=20070906&afl=yahoo

,----[ Quote ]
| In an entry on the Home Server blog, program manager Chris Sullivan
| said that the group has received nearly 2,400 bug reports so far from
| beta testers, and still had 495, or about 21% of the total, classified
| as "active."
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9014183&intsrc=news_ts_head

Will Windows Home Server be Microsoft’s next flop?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Berlind/?p=791