[News] The GNU Project Achieves Its Goals with GNOME and Linux

  • Subject: [News] The GNU Project Achieves Its Goals with GNOME and Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 03:08:46 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
GNOME Foundation Annual Report for 2007

,----[ Quote ]
| The GNOME Foundation has released an annual report as a rather
| slickly-produced PDF file. "We have completed our original goal. Ten years
| ago, GNU/Linux distributions did not include a free and usable web browser.
| Ten years ago, using only free software, you could not do graphic design and
| illustration, you could not balance your checkbook, you could not download
| pictures from your camera to the computer, you could not do phone calls over
| the Internet, you could not create a spreadsheet with pie charts, and you
| could not plug a USB drive into your computer and expect it to 'just work'.
| Okay, USB sticks didn't exist ten years ago, but you get the idea."
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/272767/rss

GNU/Linux World Domination for the Wrong Reasons

,----[ Quote ]
| At its most basic, free software is about helping users gain control of their
| computers so that they can participate unhindered in the digital
| conversations of the networks and the Internet. It's about installing
| software freely, rather than being dictated to by the manufacturer. It's
| about using your computer the way that you want, instead of ceding control to
| lock-down devices installed by software vendors without permission on your
| machine.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/article.php/3733286

That's what makes GNU/Linux so exceptionally successful, _even on the desktop_.

Related:

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

| you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?

| to go with that.
`----

http://www.news.com/Feeling-the-heat-at-Microsoft/2008-1012_3-6232458.html?tag=ne.fd.mnbc

Linux Has Won, Windows is Gone

,----[ Quote ]
| Sorry Windows you have already lost this battle. There is no way to reverse
| this and no amount of incentives that Microsoft can offer to convince people
| and governments that they will be safe if they switch back to Windows. Lets
| be honest here for a moment. Would your trust America's nuclear technologies
| to be run on Windows? What happens when it bluescreens, yeah you get my point
| don't you?
`----

http://linuxhow2.com/News/Linux_Has_Won_Windows_is_Gone.html

Microsoft says to borrow money for Yahoo deal

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp said on Monday it may borrow money for the first time in its
| history to fund a portion of its $44.6 billion unsolicited offer for Yahoo
| Inc.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/companyNews/idUSN0455692920080205

P. Graham: Microsoft is Dead

,----[ Quote ]
| A few days ago I suddenly realized Microsoft was dead. I was talking
| to a young startup founder about how Google was different from Yahoo.
| I said that Yahoo had been warped from the start by their fear of
| Microsoft. That was why they'd positioned themselves as a "media
| company" instead of a technology company. Then I looked at his face
| and realized he didn't understand. It was as if I'd told him how much
| girls liked Barry Manilow in the mid 80s. Barry who?
|
| Microsoft? He didn't say anything, but I could tell he didn't quite
| believe anyone would be frightened of them.
`----

http://www.paulgraham.com/microsoft.html

Microsoft's DreamSpark – What a Giveaway

,----[ Quote ]
| The rest of the $44.6bn (£22.3bn) deal would be financed with an undisclosed
| amount of credit.
|
| What that means is that it must squeeze as much money as it can from its
| operations to fund that debt and still pay dividends to shareholders, who
| will be looking for some payback from the Yahoo takeover. Giving away
| software is the last thing it would want to do in these circumstances, and
| the DreamSpark announcement shows just how worried it is about the future.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/microsofts-dreamspark-%E2%80%93-what-giveaway

Debt in Disguise

,----[ Quote ]