Re: [News] New Eee PCs with Linux are Better-specced PCs Than Windows

____/ [H]omer on Wednesday 12 March 2008 01:33 : \____

> Sinister Midget wrote:
>> On 2008-03-11, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> claimed:
>
>>> Do any of the advocates here have an affiliation with a Linux
>>> company? I think not.....
>>
>> I will if I ever start one. I have plans for a few things that I con
>> never quite bring together. So it may never happen. Or it might.
>>
>> I don't any association with one that exists right now. If any
>> decides they want to pay me to post positive linux stuff in a
>> pro-linux group, though, make an offer.
>
> If anyone (Linux related or otherwise) offered me money to post
> /anything/, the first thing I'd post would be a detailed account of
> their attempted bribery. I guess I can forget about getting a shiny new
> laptop from Sweaty then.
>
> Oh well.

No Linux company would pay to promote Linux. Red Hat would promote Red Hat
Linux. Novell promotes SUSE. Canonical promotes Ubuntu. Nobody promotes Free
software (it hardly makes sense) and the only party which could advocate the
kernel is the Linux Foundation.

I'm here advocating Free software. The worst that can happen is a situation
where one company monopolises or exploits the GNU project. Or just watch what
Ubuntu did to Debian (and I mean that in a negative way actually)...

There are all sorts of companies like IBM or Oracle (Unbreakable) trying to
take control and put binaries on top. That's just bad because it escapes and
misses the point of having a/the Free desktop in the first place.

All the libel trolls have spread about me being paid is disgusting. I don't get
paid for any of this and I'm not interested in payments. I get my kicks not
from money, but from the feeling that I help a cause -- Free software and
rights in this case. The whole modern world is brainwashing children to the
point of believing that success in measured in terms of money and that if you
don't get a high salary job, then you'll end up in the street or have no
friends.

Okay... this ramble is getting philosophical, so I'll stop here. But the matter
of fact is that education is, to a large extent, government- and/or
industry-imposed mode of operation. We mustn't take everything for granted and
assume, for instace, that all these unnecessary wars, stressful lives etc. are
necessary evils. They are the by-products of evil.

Beranger (Radu) said something quite moving a month ago. It was about
technology being the thing which is intended to make our life easier. Instead,
generally speaking, it made many people's lives more stressful. It needn't be
so.

/gone off topic

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Play Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
Tasks: 136 total,   1 running, 135 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie