Re: H-P Makes Small GNU/Linux Announcement

____/ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Monday 31 March 2008 15:23 : \____

> A friend of mine works for HP, in the snapfish department.  She says
> they have no programmers in that division, and they haven't upgraded
> or improved their web site in a couple of years.  She's a web designer
> who uses a Mac.  She works with several others who use Macs, too.  She
> says HP is strictly a MS operation, that they don't have any technical
> support for Macs, never mind Linux.  She said she had to go to the
> Apple store in Palo Alto to fix some problems with her machine at
> work.  She said the Apple people were glad to help. I use snapfish
> myself for getting prints.  I told her I tried ophoto, but they
> require some Windows-only software (at least they did when I first
> tried them, several years ago), so I went to snapfish, which works
> with Linux.
>
> That was necessary because we use Linux at home.  My father-in-law has
> recently been converted from Windows to Macs.  He's now a Mac
> fanatic.  When he saw our Dell, he said, Ugh!  I'll buy you a Mac!"  I
> explained that although we have a Dell, we're not running Windows.
> But he wants to give us a lot of Mac stuff.  He also offered to buy me
> an iPhone, but I said no, since I don't really need one and I'd prefer
> that he keep his money.  My father-in-law is deaf, and the community
> of deaf people really hang together.  He has a life-long friend who,
> before he retired, had a career fixing Windows machines.  So he was a
> real Windows fanatic.  But my father-in-law (with some help from
> Vista) converted him to Macs, and now he says he'd never go back.
> I've also tried to get him to try Linux, but so far without success.

H-P and Dell, just like AMD and Intel are playing favourites (the children play
for love) with Microsoft. Some things never change. They want the
bigger --albeit razor-thin -- margins.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | LINUX - (L)ove (I)s (N)ever (U)tterly eXPensive