[News] GNU/Linux Chosen for In-Flight Entertainment for Stability, Agility

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux Chosen for In-Flight Entertainment for Stability, Agility
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 04:07:58 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
All About Linux 2008: Penguins fly! An interview with Charles Ogilvie, Virgin
America’s head of In-Flight Entertainment

,----[ Quote ]
| CG: Why did you pick linux for RED?
|
| CO: Linux is very stable and agile. We were able to pare down the embedded
| seat-back side to only the libraries we need, license a container app and
| then write the code needed to tie everything together
`----

http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/03/27/all-about-linux-2008-penguins-fly-an-interview-with-charles-virgin-airs-head-of-in-flight-entertainment/

It's not a question of money. Linux just works better. It's not just Virgin
America which chose Linux for the airplanes.

Related:

Linux-based airline seat-back entertainment system is a winner

,----[ Quote ]
| This Red Hat-based system also is installed on Qantas Airways and on Boeing
| 777s operated by Delta and Continental. eX2, the newest version of
| Panasonic's in-flight entertainment systems, offers not the canned radio
| stations of yesteryear, but rather audio and video on demand, games, and even
| online books, depending on the carrier.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/119544

Singapore Airlines puts a PC in every seat

,----[ Quote ]
| The whole system runs on Red Hat's distribution of the Linux operating
| system.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=686973581&rid=-50

StarOffice, Linux fly high on Singapore Airlines

,----[ Quote ]
| Singapore Airlines is offering access to Sun's StarOffice 8 office
| productivity suite free of charge to passengers on its new Boeing
| 777-300ER aircraft. StarOffice, Sun's proprietary version of
| OpenOffice.org, runs on the aircraft's Linux server and is accessed
| via a seat-back terminal at each passenger's seat, according to Sun.

Airborne Linux Hackers Unite!

,----[ Quote ]
| Virgin America calls their new in-flight entertainment system “Red,” but it
| is really a gigantic sociological experiment in airborne distributed
| computing.
`----

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/08/06/airborne-linux-hackers-unite/

Virgin America tunes up with YSlow