Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft, Approaching Debt, Moves to the (Far) East

____/ Mark Kent on Saturday 29 March 2008 19:20 : \____

http://www.newindpress.com/NewsItems.asp?ID=IET20080320010258&Page=T&Title=Southern+News+-+Tamil+Nadu&Topic=0

>>> Times are hard. I hear even Sweaty's abandoning America, and taking up
>>> residence in Bangladesh:
>>>
>>> http://media.slated.org/albums/userpics/Em-Ballmer.png
>>
>> About 6 months ago, Gates spoke about moving more operations to China. That
>> would save Microsoft some money (they'll use "bad education" as an excuse),
>> but it would not make them any more popular. Meanwhile, people in America
>> and Europe will be slinging open source code and adapt it to their
>> enterprise needs (Moodle is a marvel because you have a huge number of
>> universities working _together_ and reusing/sharing GPL code). They will
>> also be ensuring that a foreigner does not put back doors in some binaries
>> of Windows Vapourware, aka Windows 7. Can you blame the Navy for shunning
>> proprietary software at this stage?
>>

> Isn't it amazing, the idea that Universities around the world might
> actually collaborate on the advancement of knowledge, research, science,
> technology...
>
> What is truly incredible is the period post WW2 during which
> collaboration was pretty much brought to a standstill by the ever more
> powerful voice of "industry".
>
> How many professorships now are "Lucas" or "Microsoft" or "Oracle" etc.
> etc?

There were several other stories about universities collaborating on
development in the past week.

I still tend to think of Moodle as an excellent example of a project that is
developed in a huge number of places simultaneously. It must be scaring
Blackboard, which was funded by Microsoft.

WordPress is a similar story with literally tens of thousands involved in
development at some level of capacity.

"I have never known much good done by those who affected to trade for the
public good."
                --Adam Smith