Re: [News] GNU/Linux Installation Very Simple, Virtual Appliance Make Things Easier

____/ Mark Kent on Saturday 29 March 2008 23:11 : \____

>> ____/ 7 on Saturday 22 March 2008 19:16 : \____

>>> flipping-the-linux-switch-disturbingly-easy-installs-now-with/
>>>

>>> I used virtualbox http://www.virtualbox.org to install Ubuntu
>>> in a virtual machine. The virtual Ubuntu can play MP3 files
>>> and youtube flash movies just fine - even though it is running
>>> PC EMULATION!!!
>>>
>>> Leaving one idle virtual machine running adds about 10% CPU overhead
>>> to a dual core (3800 Athlon) PC.
>>
>> Dual core, eh? I never tried these. I assume these are useful only for
>> programs that are build to require hardware 'upgrades'. I'm happy with
>> primitive sub-2GHz single cores.
>>

> That's very impressive, though.  I've a dual-core 2.4 G machine, it's
> like greased lightning...

I don't see myself upgrading any time soon. I could use more than 256 MB of RAM
at home, but that only becomes an issue after a long uptime (sometimes
months), in which case memory leaks get aggregated and a lot of swapping is
needed.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |   Apache: commercial software's days are numbered
Cpu(s): 25.1%us,  3.7%sy,  1.0%ni, 65.4%id,  4.4%wa,  0.3%hi,  0.1%si,  0.0%st