[News] Bright Future for OSS; Trinity College Pushes Free Software

  • Subject: [News] Bright Future for OSS; Trinity College Pushes Free Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 02:46:37 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Report: Subscriptions to Surge for Open-Source Licensing

,----[ Quote ]
| One out of five applications will be licensed by subscription within five
| years, respondents said, thanks to goodies such as remote management,
| security monitoring and more.

Humanitarian projects and open source: Working together to revitalize computer
sciences

,----[ Quote ]
| Ralph Morelli, professor of computer science at Trinity College in Hartford,
| Conn., has a double motive in spearheading the Humanitarian FOSS Project
| (HFOSS). The project's mission of providing free software development to help
| solve real-world social issues is a noble reason to rally the participation
| of college students who will spend their summers learning how to be part of
| the open source development community. But this NSF-funded project also hopes
| to show that humanitarian software development projects are a great way to
| revitalize undergraduate computing education.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/129882

Yesterday

Open Source Business Conference: Great, we won. So what did we win?

,----[ Quote ]
| That’s what I asked leading open source investor Larry Augustin (pictured
| left; he founded VA Linux, SourceForge, and backed many more) and Harold
| Goldberg, chief executive of Zend, at the InfoWorld Open Source Business
| Conference, which just wrapped up.
`----

http://venturebeat.com/2008/03/26/open-source-business-conference-great-we-won-so-what-did-we-win/

Recent:

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

| you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?

| to go with that.
`----

http://www.news.com/Feeling-the-heat-at-Microsoft/2008-1012_3-6232458.html?tag=ne.fd.mnbc

Microsoft says to borrow money for Yahoo deal

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/companyNews/idUSN0455692920080205