[News] Digital Signage Vendor Uses GNU/Linux, Adds Flash

  • Subject: [News] Digital Signage Vendor Uses GNU/Linux, Adds Flash
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 02:49:26 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
ONELAN Puts Flash 9 In Its Linux Net-Top-Box

,----[ Quote ]
| The UK digital signage vendor, ONELAN, has launched a new version of its
| embedded linux Net-Top-Box - one that supports Adobe Flash 9.
`----

http://www.aka.tv/articles/article.asp?ArticleID=1487

Days ago:

Open-Source Technology in Digital Signage

,----[ Quote ]
| Open Source and Free software have transformed the software business. Instead
| of spending hundreds of thousands of dollars and getting locked in, we have
| been given freedom. Freedom to be our own equipment's boss; freedom to share;
| and freedom to benefit from cooperation and hence from what thousands of
| others have already done.
|
| Many Digital Signage providers use Open Source both in the products like
| Media Players, and to run their operations cost-effectively. By doing so,
| they can concentrate on our “real” work: the products and services that they
| sell. Without OSS, there would not be an Internet today. There would also not
| be as many Digital Signage companies.
`----

http://www.marcelgagne.com/node/555

Related:

Linux is de facto OS for TV set-top boxes

,----[ Quote ]
| "The major chipset manufacturers are introducing new Linux platforms
| almost monthly," said Ken Helps, managing director of Ocean Blue Software.
|
| The attraction is that the Linux operating system will support
| advanced functions without requiring a license fee.
`----

http://www.edn.com/index.asp?layout=article&articleid=CA6426925&partner=eb&spacedesc=news
http://tinyurl.com/2zofx9

YouTube on the TV with the OSD

,----[ Quote ]
| Neuros is certainly not the only ones bringing net video to the TV, but we
| are probably the only CE company doing it with open source. Nowhere is the
| intersection between free software and free speech more obvious. If the
| connection between the internet and the TV falls into the hands of a
| proprietary vendor's closed solution, then the hard won free speech victory
| of he internet will fall far short of its ultimate potential.
`----

http://open.neurostechnology.com/node/905

Review: Neuros OSD

,----[ Quote ]
| Need some helpful suggestions of what kind of things you can do with a Neuros
| OSD? How about getting the OSD to play nicely with Tivo? Neuros is even
| offering a cash bounty for the folks who get this done.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1006086

The Neuros OSD: A New Paradigm for Consumer Devices?

,----[ Quote ]
| Surprisingly one of the media establishment's darling devices at the 2008
| Consumer Electronics Show (CES) is fully open, runs Linux and invites
| hacking - er, customization. The device is the Neuros OSD, a $200 video
| recorder that allows you to archive, organize and play back all of your video
| media, such as live television, DVDs, VHS tapes, etc. The acronym "OSD"
| stands for "open source device". Hot dog, this is our kind of gadget!
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1006049

What This Gadget Can Do Is Up to You

,----[ Quote ]
| The OSD has not only open hardware, but also open software: it is based on
| the Linux operating system. Neuros Technology encourages hacking of the
| device; it has contests with cash rewards for new applications for the OSD.
| One winner, for instance, designed a program that lets people use it to watch
| YouTube on their televisions.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/06/business/06novel.html?ref=business

ArsGeek reviews the Neuros OSD

,----[ Quote ]
| The first two observations I made when I opened my Neuros OSD were that the
| unit was a lot smaller than I was expecting (about five and a half inches by
| five and a half inches in size) and that it looked nice. This was no flat
| looking boxy apparatus, nor was it a standard component. It was curved, it
| was sleek, black and more aerodynamic than any other DVR I’ve come across.
|
| I liked the size and the look immediately. Not only was this thing slick
| looking, but I could easily grab the RCA cables and the Neuros and bring it
| over to a friends house to watch whatever I’d recorded.
`----

http://www.arsgeek.com/?p=2831

Review: The Linux Powered Neuros OSD

,----[ Quote ]
| The future is very bright for this little piece of open source goodness. I
| look forward to seeing how it grows and improves.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=326

The Linux-based Neuros OSD

,----[ Quote ]
| Neuros Technology did it again: one more of their interesting media products
| hits the market, and this time it uses Linux. We used the Neuros OSD this
| past week and here's what we think about it.
|
| [...]
|
| Overall, Neuros seems to get it. Extensibility, plus a powerful product.
| Hopefully HD abilities and failing that, S-Video out, will be available on
| the next major revision of the product. Sure, it doesn't feel as cool as an
| AppleTV, but it does so much more!
|
| Rating: 8/10
`----

http://www.osnews.com/story.php/18832/The-Linux-based-Neuros-OSD/

Product alert: Neuros Open Source Device

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/news.aspx?CIaNID=63630