[News] Windows Vista Outperformed by CrossOver for GNU/Linux!!

  • Subject: [News] Windows Vista Outperformed by CrossOver for GNU/Linux!!
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 15:05:32 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
CodeWeavers launches Crossover Games for Mac, Linux users

,----[ Quote ]
| CodeWeavers has launched Crossover Games for both Mac and Linux, available
| immediately.
`----

http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.php/archive/codeweavers_launches_crossover_games_for_mac_linux_users

CodeWeavers CrossOver Games Preview

,----[ Quote ]
| With CrossOver Games being based upon WINE and tracking the latest
| developments closely, it's really to no surprise that CrossOver Games had
| performed well and in some cases even had a sharp lead over WINE 0.9.58.
| Meanwhile, with 3DMark01 Second Edition, Windows Vista was constantly in last
| place.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=crossover_games&num=1

So, GNU/Linux may be better than Windows at gaming after all...

Related:

XP vs. Vista - A Tale of Framerates

,----[ Quote ]
| Seldom has the rumor mill turned faster than when gamers talk about gaming
| in Vista. Some folks are staying away from the new OS simply because
| they feel it doesn?t game well.
`----

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTMzNCwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

Quake 4 On XP, Vista, & Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| However, I spent the extra time and while I was at it had run three
| Quake 4 v1.3 benchmarks in XP, Vista, and Fedora Core 6 (2.6.20 kernel).
| The hardware used was a modest AMD Sempron setup with a NVIDIA GeForce
| 6150 and the NVIDIA 1.0-9755 drivers (the hardware chosen was to
| represent the more common Linux user rather than using an octal-core
| setup). The NVIDIA driver on Vista was 100.65 while the XP version
| was 93.71. Below is the average frame-rate from each test on each
| operating system.
`----

http://www.michaellarabel.com/index.php?k=blog&i=164

Valve questions Microsoft's commitment to PC gaming

,----[ Quote ]
| Half-Life 2 developer Valve thinks that Microsoft's current
| "Games for Windows" marketing push is a cynical ploy to sell
| more copies of Windows Vista, rather than a genuine effort to
| invigorate the PC gaming market.
`----

http://tomshardware.co.uk/2007/03/12/valve_questions_microsofts_commitment/

ATI: Linux vs. Windows Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Wow! We were completely blown away when our final results came in and the
| Linux 8.42.3 driver had outperformed Windows Vista with Catalyst 7.10 in
| Enemy Territory: Quake Wars. It wasn't just a neck-and-neck race but Linux
| was about 10 frames per second faster when running at 1280 x 1024 and 1680 x
| 1050.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=897&num=3

SL Speed Showdown: Linux Tops Windoze

,----[ Quote ]
| This was not a scientific study - only a small test which confirmed what I
| thought I had "felt" already while using Second Life on my new PC.
`----

http://www.secondlifeherald.com/slh/2007/07/sl-speed-showdo.html

[Microsoft MVP] Foray into Feisty Fawn helped me take back my MIPS

,----[ Quote ]
| Long story short - World of Warcraft runs faster under Ubuntu/Wine than
| natively under Windows XP Professional.
`----

http://msmvps.com/blogs/plenderj/archive/2007/07/14/foray-into-feisty-fawn-helped-me-take-back-my-mips.aspx

Does WINE + Linux support more Windows apps than Vista?

,----[ Quote ]
| WINE supports most of the applications which are made for Windows
| 2.0 up to Windows XP. WINE has the ability to run different versions
| of IE, run most of Adobe's products, run World of Warcraft, Half Life
| 2, Microsoft Office 2003, XP, 2000 and 97, Visio, Quicken,
|
|     * Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars
|     * Need for Speed Carbon
|
| [...]
|
| What about drivers, hardware support, and upgrades?
|
| Want to upgrade you XP to Vista? no chance. might as well do a fresh
| install and shell out $300.
`----

http://jagtalon.wordpress.com/2007/04/30/does-wine-linux-support-more-apps-than-vista/

Linux FPS [PCLinuxOS]

,----[ Quote ]
| A few weeks ago I installed PCLinuxOS 2007 and I'm very impressed
| with it. One of the things I like is their package manager--everything
| is there, you don't need to add any extra repositories (a popular
| distro that starts with "U" infuriates me with all the mucking
| around you have to do), and there are never any issues with
| unresolved dependencies.
|
| Anyway, last week I downloaded through the package manager a
| game called Sauerbraten. It's a great multi player FPS. It's
| completely free and very entertaining to play.
`----

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/VanAlstine/3051

Because penguins need to play too.

,----[ Quote ]