[News] [Rival] Microsoft Should Implement ODF, Chooses Software Patents Instead

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Should Implement ODF, Chooses Software Patents Instead
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 08:23:36 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Understanding Standards

,----[ Quote ]
| Multiple implementations of a single standard are a good thing, because they
| encourage competition between products that can be swapped in and out easily.
| This puts users firmly in control, and makes software suppliers responsive to
| their needs. Multiple standards for a given domain such as document formats
| are a bad thing, because you cannot move easily between them as a result of
| high switching costs. They are likely to reduce the pool of potential
| competitors for each standard, since not every company can support every
| standard. Less competition encourages lazy programming and lock-in by
| suppliers who know that users are unlikely to make the huge effort to move to
| a totally different standard.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?blogid=14&entryid=630

It doesn't look good for OOXML at the moment, but the Microsoft PR machine is
working at full force, overtime, even attacking ODF out of misery.

More on that new brainwash they try to sell:

Microsoft Quietly Launches Interoperability Forum

,----[ Quote ]
| When Microsoft laid out its broad commitment to more openness last month, one
| of the concrete steps it said it would take was the opening of the
| Interoperability Forum to allow customers around the world to have an open
| dialogue on how Microsoft products could work better with those of other
| vendors. That forum is now online, albeit empty and unannounced.
`----                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=206905549

Yes, everyone cares about it. Like the fake 'grassroots' sites that Microsoft
created last year to give an illusion of OOXML fanfare.

Related and recent:

The Last Lap

,----[ Quote ]
| Here are the results, as live as they get, of the countries voting for DIS
| 29500 (more popularly known as Microsoft OOXML). This is the last lap of DIS
| 29500 (Microsoft OOXML) and we can expect things to get heated. This list is
| based on verifiable information and I am taking necessary precautions to not
| include speculative votes. iso-vote.com has a pretty pictorial view of the
| votes and you even toggle the countries to see the overall outcome.
|
| [...]
|
| Voting In Progress:
|
|     * Criteria 1: 17/32 = 53.13% (FAIL)
|     * Criteria 2: 18/87 = 20.69% (PASS)
|     * Overall Result: FAIL
`----

http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2008/03/the-last-lap.html

How to Royally Annoy National Bodies

,----[ Quote ]
| Guide to future monopolists on how to alienate yourself from National Bodies:
|
|    1. Waste NBs time in reviewing monstrous draft specifications
|    2. Claim that these specs can do everything for anyone by standardising
|    marketing material
|    3. If you don't get your way at a certain level, lobby the superior above.
|    Dont stop! Go all the way to the head of the nation if you think you can!
|    4. Leak press stories to journalists to pressure Ministries to make a
|    decision. Quick!
|    5. Try to shut down TCs if actual technical work is done revealing issues
|    with your plan
|    6. Question Question Question everything (process, fairness, the system,
|    members) when things dont go your way
|    7. Otherwise create another TC with friendly experts
|    8. If the NB allows new members just by paying membership fees, encourage
|    your business partners to join with marketing funds. Stack-stack-stack it
|    high!
|    9. Stalk decision makers, even if it means traveling around the globe with
|    them
|   10. Refuse changes in the spec especially if it breaks your product which
|   you released prior
|   11. Have private interviews with TC members in the guise of funding for
|   their new projects/research grants/interoperability initiatives and
|   conveniently talk about their position on your spec.
|   12. Get your Business Partners to write in form letters. Some don't even
|   bother to change the templates
|   13. Attend TC meetings uninvited by fabricating business cards
|   14. Send Lawyers in to Technical Committee meetings who prefer not to
|   engage in "high-school" debates
|   15. Make rude and inaccurate statements against TC members in public
`----

http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2008/03/how-to-royally.html

Related:

Appeals Court Rules that Deceptive Conduct in Standard Setting can Violate
Antitrust Laws

,----[ Quote ]
| While many of us have been preoccupied with the OOXML vote, the rest of the
| world has naturally been continuing to go about its business. One piece of
| business that took an interesting turn in the last few days is a ruling by a
| Federal Appellate Court in the United States that breaks new ground in
| protecting the integrity of the standard setting system. The ruling may also
| have relevance to the regrettable conduct witnessed in the recent OOXML vote.
`----

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=2007090607324049

Danish Unix User Group Files Complaint With EU Commission Against Denmark For
Mandating MSOOXML

,----[ Quote ]
| The Danish Unix User Group, DKUUG, has filed a formal complaint with the EU
| Commission regarding Denmark's mandating ECMA 376, better known by us as
| MSOOXML, for certain procurements.
|
| The complaint [PDF] is grounded in breach of the EC Treaty article 81 on
| unfair competition. The press release says that the regulation "can be seen
| as an attempt to continue the de facto monopoly of Microsoft in the Danish
| state on office software, as the various public agencies and institutions
| need to buy the products of Microsoft to comply to the regulation."

Corrupt countries were more likely to support the OOXML document format

,----[ Quote ]
| Is this just a random coincidence? The median of the CPI index of the above
| mentioned 70 countries is 3.95. Of the most corrupted half (CPI index less
| than 3.95) 23 or 77% voted for approval (approval or approval with comments)
| and 7 or 23% for disapproval; 5 abstained. Of the least corrupted half (CPI
| index more than 3.95) 13 or 54% voted for approval and 11 or 46% voted for
| disapproval; 11 abstained - see the table below.
`----

http://www.effi.org/blog/kai-2007-09-05.en.html

Microsoft accused of more OOXML standards fiddling

,----[ Quote ]
| However the 11 new countries are refusing to say how they will vote. These
| include Cote d'Ivoire, Cyprus, Ecuador, Jamaica, Lebanon, Malta, Pakistan,
| Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey, Uruguay and Venezuela. Most people seem to think
| that these have been put there by Vole to make sure the standard gets pushed
| through.

Bam! Comical Creese debunks OpenDocumentFormat Alliance

,----[ Quote ]
| You are free to inspect the irregularities website that documents few cases
| reported by the online press and blogs. We got much more reports on an
| informal base per email. The Swedish single employee story is not credible,
| actually committee stuffing took place in Sweden.
|
|     On loopholes, that’s another subjective call, but since Microsoft
|     competitors managed to establish control over a standards initiative with
|     potentially dire consequences for one of Microsoft’s most important
|     business domains, we are not surprised that Microsoft (legitimately,
|     albeit with what some consider to be poor standards etiquette) exploited
|     the loopholes. As we noted, we assume ISO will update its procedures to
|     eliminate the loopholes in the future.
|
| What?
|
|     Microsoft competitors managed to establish control over a standards
|     initiative…
|
| What?
|
|     Microsoft competitors managed to establish control over a standards
|     initiative with potentially dire consequences for one of Microsoft’s most
|     important business domains, we are not surprised that Microsoft …
|     exploited the loopholes.
|
| ???
|
|     but since Microsoft competitors managed to establish control over a
|     standards initiative with potentially dire consequences for one of
|     Microsoft’s most important business domains, we are not surprised that
|     Microsoft (legitimately, albeit with what some consider to be poor
|     standards etiquette) exploited the loopholes.
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-41447/bam-comical-creese-debunks-opendocumentformat-alliance

Final vote at the brm - catastropic failure at BRM

,----[ Quote ]
| Unrecoverable Application Error or UAE or BSOD to the nonsense ooxml stuff.
| So, some of the stuff was hand-waved through. But the end is here. We have to
| expose all the underhanded, manipulations that MS has done everywhere to buy
| votes. I am glad that the EU is investigating.
`----

http://harishpillay.livejournal.com/

Microsoft’s secretive standards orgs in Former Yugoslavia

,----[ Quote ]
| Croatian laws keep its national body’s votes secret, so the only way for the
| Croatian public to find out how the process went would be if a board member
| illegally leaked information out of CSI. This is, of course, unlikely to
| happen. And the Serbian national standardization body is not officially
| formed, so those two votes were easy for Microsoft, and probably not only
| ones around the globe.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/092407-ooxml.html?page=1

Microsoft Tech Ed 2007: OpenXML

,----[ Quote ]
| He was asked "Why did Microsoft push OOXML through the "Fast Track" process
| instead of the standard ISO process? Wouldn't they get less resistance than
| faced now?"
|
| His response was very frank: "Office is a USD$10 billion revenue generator
| for the company. When ODF was made an ISO standard, Microsoft had to react
| quickly as certain governments have procurement policies which prefer ISO
| standards. Ecma and OASIS are 'international standards', but ISO is the
| international 'Gold Standard'. Microsoft therefore had to rush this standard
| through. Its a simple matter of commercial interests!"
`----            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2007/09/microsoft-tech-.html

Probe into votes on Microsoft standard

,----[ Quote ]
| The European Commission is investigating the process under which a key
| Microsoft document format could be adopted as an industry standard - a move
| that would carry significant commercial benefits for the software company.
|
| Officials at the European Commission's competition directorate have written
| to members of the International Organisation for Standardisation, asking how
| they prepared for votes in September and later this month on acceptance of
| Microsoft's OOXML document format as a worldwide standard. Without ISO
| acceptance, Microsoft could stand to lose business, particularly with
| government clients, some of which are becoming increasingly keen to use only
| ISO-certified software.
|
| The ISO process has been widely criticised, however, with some members of
| national standards' bodies accusing Microsoft and its rivals of attempting to
| influence the vote.
|
| Tim Bray, a member of the Canadian national standards body, called the
| procedure "complete, utter, unadulterated bullshit" in a recent blog posting.
|
| [...]
|
| In addition, in several countries, a large number of Microsoft partners
| joined the national standards organisations just ahead of a vote on the issue
| in September.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft said it openly encouraged its partners to participate in the ISO
| process, but was not funding any third parties doing so. The company said it
| would cooperate with the European Commission's inquiry.
`----

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/88e570a2-ea56-11dc-b3c9-0000779fd2ac.html?nclick_check=1

The Art of Being Mugged

,----[ Quote ]