[News] Microsoft Maintains Same Old Anti-FOSS Attitude

Does open source need a Micro-cop?

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is playing good cop, bad cop, offering “to promote greater
| interoperability, opportunity and choice” on the one hand, dismissing efforts
| to build real standards on the other.
|
| Specifically, it provided documentation allowing developers to link with its
| MS-XAML, an XML schema for embedding applications, while dismissing Google’s
| OpenSocial initiative, and having its little friend, Facebook, do so as well.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2166

"Usually Microsoft doesn't develop products, we buy products."

                                -- Arno Edelmann, Microsoft

Related:

ZeroPaid Interviews Russell McOrmond - Part 2 of 3

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.zeropaid.com/news/9300/ZeroPaid+Interviews+Russell+McOrmond+-+Part+2+of+3/

,----[ Quote ]
| A source that deals with the company said unofficially that Gates
| proposed Microsoft's Digital Rights Management technology as a national
| standard to fight piracy at the governmental level.
`----

http://www.kommersant.com/p719683/r_528/

Years of deadlock on EU patent bring some new thinking

,----[ Quote ]
| When Bill Gates visits Brussels on Thursday to speak with
| government officials, software developers and customers, he
| plans to wade into one of Europe's longest-running, most
| fruitless debates: the pursuit of a unified patent system.
| Gates, chairman of Microsoft, wants a simple system that will
| allow the world's largest software maker and other companies
| to protect their intellectual property in the European Union -
| and profit from licensing their patents.
`----

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/11/08/business/patents.php

Leaked letter warns of open source 'threat to eco-system'

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.techworld.com/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=7109