Re: [News] [SOT] Lessig Calls for Government Not to Be Run by Corporations, Shareholders

____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 25 March 2008 15:36 : \____

>> ____/ [H]omer on Friday 21 March 2008 19:35 : \____

>>> That's quite a battle he's got there, considering that the US is
>>> essentially owned and ruled by its corporations. He'd have more luck
>>> praying to Buddha.
>>
>> I can remember that old drawing with the giants (not quite ogres) looking
>> down at some 'peasants'. It depicts the government/corporations and the
>> 'little people'. Yes, Lessig can't make much difference but he can cause a
>> lot of trouble to the sources of corruption if he speaks out about it. He
>> has already been bullied for quite some time, accused of being a "shill"
>> (for whom???) and all. The smears against him remind me of what Bruce Perens
>> is already getting at this very moment... and warned about in advance.
>> That's why he needed 2000 sigs of endorsement. Sign his petition if you
>> haven't. He wants to prevent Microsoft (and Novell) from corrupting ISO and
>> open source in general. That's the equivalent of what Lessig is dealing
>> with.
>>

> You mean OSI, not ISO, I think :-)

Oops. Yes.

> Anyway, yes, I've signed his petition already; a week ago, I think.  The
> corruption of major bodies is the present mode of Microsoft and its
> helpers.  Not sure how sustainable an approach it will be, although it
> has certainly damaged the credibility of ISO, probably beyond repair,
> and ECMAs inbuilt failings (long known of by many of us) have been
> highlighted to a wider audience.
>
> Use the source, Luke!

Good read:

“This year WG1 have had another major development that has made it almost
impossible to continue with our work within ISO. The influx of P members whose
only interest is the fast-tracking of ECMA 376 as ISO 29500 has led to the
failure of a number of key ballots. Though P members are required to vote, 50%
of our current members, and some 66% of our new members, blatantly ignore this
rule despite weekly email reminders and reminders on our website. As ISO
require at least 50% of P members to vote before they start to count the votes
we have had to reballot standards that should have been passed and completed
their publication stages at Kyoto. This delay will mean that these standards
will appear on the list of WG1 standards that have not been produced within
the time limits set by ISO, despite our best efforts.

The disparity of rules for PAS, Fast-Track and ISO committee generated
standards is fast making ISO a laughing stock in IT circles. The days of open
standards development are fast disappearing. Instead we are
getting “standardization by corporation”, something I have been fighting
against for the 20 years I have served on ISO committees. I am glad to be
retiring before the situation becomes impossible. I wish my colleagues every
success for their future efforts, which I sincerely hope will not prove to be
as wasted as I fear they could be.”

–Martin Bryan, ISO Escapee
Formerly Convenor, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34 WG1

http://www.jtc1sc34.org/repository/0940.htm

"It just tells you how desperate Microsoft is for a competitor that they’re
holding up a software box produced by 100 guys in the hills of North Carolina.
Who are they trying to kid?"
                --Robert Young, CEO of Red Hat
 16:00:04 up 6 days,  4:09,  5 users,  load average: 1.28, 0.64, 0.88