[News] [Rival] Vista Service Pack Even More Scary Than Vista RTM

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Vista Service Pack Even More Scary Than Vista RTM
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 13:44:33 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
My Lack of Confidence in Vista SP1

,----[ Quote ]
| News Commentary. While troubleshooting a friend's Outlook woes, I found
| Windows Vista Service Pack 1 ready for download and installation. I couldn't
| risk it.
| [...]
| My buddy loves Microsoft, but he detests Windows Vista. On Saturday, for the
| umpteenth time, he praised Microsoft while we were driving to pick up his son
| from playing paintball. See, my bookseller friend remembers trying to
| automate his business before there was DOS—how much it cost and how little
| benefit he got from the money spent.
| [...]
| He had no idea what was there. My buddy smiled: "Hey, I just do what they
| tell me," referring to Microsoft and the Office 2007 trial conversion.
| The computer had more pep after the software removal, but I haven't heard
| whether or not Outlook is behaving better. My friend is ready to move to
| another e-mail program; he asked about Mozilla Thunderbird. The bookseller
| had heard of the software because of Firefox, which his son had installed on
| the computer. Apparently, IE 7 also frequently crashes.

Windows is losing its fans, including these two loyals. Windows Vista was
excellent news to Apple and Free software.

Angry Vista Users Vent Over SP1 Driver Issues

,----[ Quote ]
| The service pack is being withheld from machines containing one or more of
| the listed drivers, because, as Microsoft put it in a support
| document, "these device drivers are problematic on Windows Vista-based
| computers when you update to Windows Vista SP1."
| That made an industry analyst wonder about Microsoft's driver testing
| process. "When Microsoft said there were problems with drivers, I assumed it
| was some odd scanner or camera, or an ancient printer or something," said
| Michael Cherry, analyst with Directions on Microsoft, a Kirkland, Wash.-based
| research firm. "But then I saw the list. It makes me wonder what's going on
| with device driver testing.

Vista SP1: Threat or Menace?

,----[ Quote ]
| The multimillion-dollar question is whether SP1 will be the hoped-for
| catalyst that triggers a widespread migration from XP to Vista. The Service
| Pack may help to allay concerns about code quality, but the perception that
| Vista's benefits simply don't outweigh the risk of the upgrade remains a
| challenge for Microsoft, particularly among business users.

So Microsoft, Why Can’t I Get Windows Vista SP1?

,----[ Quote ]
| Hey Microsoft, how about a tool that might tell users a) what the problem is,
| b) where to get a new driver (if possible)? Seems to be that it wouldn’t be
| that much work for Microsoft (well, maybe, to keep it up to date, but it
| would really help end user satisfaction).

Windows is caught between Mac and Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| For the first time in ages, the sale of new PCs with Windows as a percentage
| of the PC market is declining sharply. The new winner is the Mac, but, while
| no one does a good job of tracking the still-new, pre-installed Linux desktop
| market, it's also clear that Linux is finally making impressive inroads into
| Windows' once unchallenged market share.
| [...]
| How Microsoft deals, or fails to deal, with this new challenge will determine
| if Windows continues to be the dominant desktop operating system. Distracted
| by its Yahoo buyout plans, its courtroom failures and its leadership changes,
| Microsoft is in trouble, and that means the other desktop operating systems
| have their best chance ever to knock Windows off the top of the desktop hill.

Windows Vista SP1 Flunks Out At Penn

,----[ Quote ]
| University of Pennsylvania tech staffers are advising faculty and students
| not to upgrade to the new service pack for Microsoft's Windows Vista
| operating system.

Vista SP1 downloaders bite back

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has acknowledged that the service pack will not install on
| computers that use “incompatible” peripheral device drivers from the likes of
| Realtek and Intel.

Re: Configurating updates: stage 3 of 3 stuck in endless reboot loop

,----[ Quote ]